D200 or not D200?

I am going to leave soon the US to go back tu France and I still can't make up my mind on whether I should buy a D200 now or still wait.
I have a D100 right now and even though I've been in photgraphy for only 10 months I feel I would enjoy the upgrade.
So I have two options:
-I buy a used one now for approx $800 (I like $)
-I wait that the prices drop (which will happen with the D700 announcement) and buy a new or used one in a few months. But that mean that I will have to pay that one in euros. And that's make kind of a difference!

So I don't know what to do!
Do you guys have any guess at what price the D200 should sell before it is discontinued? And any guess about when that could be?

I know these are big guess questions but I assume there is some kind of pricing and product line evolution pattern when a new product is released...

Well, I am taking all the advices:wink:

Bertrand

It seems to me the bigger question is not what the D200 price will be in 6 months but how much different the price will be in Euros to dollars. From what I've seen, it appears the number is usually about the same in either one so with the exchange rate you'd have to get it for around 500 Euros to be about the same as $800. You also lose 6 months of getting to enjoy it. If you were going to be buying in dollars later then I might wait a little while but given your circumstances I'd probably get it now and start enjoying it.

Note, I may be way off on the numbers and exchange and if so you'll have to adjust accordingly. Good luck.

If the 300 is out of range, definitely pick up a good 200/grip now while they are readily available. I don't see the price dropping a lot in the near future. It's still a fantastic camera, and will be my DX body for a long time to come. Unless the D700 convinces me that the ergonomics are just that much better. Then it will only be my DX body for the foreseeable future :wink:

With the dollar's current valuation compared to other currencies, I imagine you'll spend more if you wait until you get back to France.

Yeah, you must be right, the exchange rate will always me more than the drop in price.
But it is still a heavy investment.
Has anyone gone from a D100 to a D200? Will the difference really be a big one for me?

I found a D200 with 9700 actuations plus a RRS L clamp (which seems to be worth around $140) for $750.
I think I am going to go for it hoping that I will be able to sell my D100 well enough.
Would you guys go for that one?

T

TonyBeach

I found a D200 with 9700 actuations plus a RRS L clamp (which seems to be worth around $140) for $750.
I think I am going to go for it hoping that I will be able to sell my D100 well enough.
Would you guys go for that one?
I would be wary of the deal if it is coming from eBay or from an individual and I haven't actually seen the camera before putting my money on the line. It looks too good to be true to me.

It's a face to face deal, not through the net. And the guy is giving me a good bargain cause I helped him selling some other stuffs he had at a better price he woud have since he seemed not to be be very aware of prices.

Panda51:

That's a great deal on a great camera. I plan on shooting my D200 until it dies. Perhaps my next camera will be a FF, but I wil always have a DX body for the crop factor.

If money was no problem I'd say get a 300, but you are getting a great camera at a great price. Enjoy.

Thanks, sure the D300 might be better. But I am still new so when I perfectly use my D200 I might then upgrade to D300. And right now D300 is way out of my budget.
I still do not understand what is so great about the crop factor??

T

TonyBeach

...the guy is giving me a good bargain cause I helped him selling some other stuffs he had at a better price he would have since he seemed not to be be very aware of prices.
As long as he's aware of the deal he's giving you (otherwise I would not consider it ethical), then I would have bought it yesterday.

T

TonyBeach

I still do not understand what is so great about the crop factor??
More pixels on your subject (12 MP DX compared to 12 MP FX), greater DOF, costs less for the camera and spares you the expense of buying even longer lenses that also cost more, and it lightens the load in your camera bag.

Crop factor also results in an increase in the apparent focal length of you lens when comparing a digital SLR to a film SLR. Due to the size difference between 35mm film and the DX sensor of the D200 for example, a lens with a focal length of 50mm, like your 50mm f/1.8, will give a view of 50% more on the D200 over a film SLR like the F4. In other words your lens is 50mm on a 35mm film or fullframe camera but it's a 75mm on a D200. Your 70-300mm actually provides 105-450mm (X+1/2X=digital focal length). This is helpful for nature photographers, sports, etc. Architectural and landscape photographers often would rather have a wider angle lens and not have to deal with the crop factor inherent in digital SLR's. The new D3/D700 are full sensors meaning there is no crop factor or magnification factor built in, a 50mm provides a 50mm field of view.

Hope this helps. Incidently, get the D200 and enjoy it, it's a great camera and a natural upgrade from the D100.

Regards,

T

TonyBeach

The new D3/D700 are full sensors meaning there is no crop factor or magnification factor built in, a 50mm provides a 50mm field of view.
Do not confuse crop factor with magnification factor -- they are not the same. Crop factor is a bit of a misnomer anyway; after all, no one refers the the "crop factor" of 135 film format vis-a-vis 6x7. Nonetheless, "crop factor" is about the captured FOV (field of view, or angle of view) and not the magnification, magnification is constant regardless of format.

Well crop or not crop factor, I have joined tonight the D200 community.
I bought it fron that guy that was really nice. I had a good price for it and he knew it so everything is fine.
At first glance the D200 looks much more complete than my good old D100. I have a lot of work ahead. As we say in French, I have some bread on the board:biggrin::biggrin:

Has anyone gone from a D100 to a D200? Will the difference really be a big one for me?
Yes I have a D100 still and had a D200 but sold it. Very Nice Camera that D200. It certainly is a major improvement in many ways from the D100.

However, in the end I really liked the photos that came from the D100 and you can use slower shutter speeds w/ the D100 to get photos Sharp.

I would take a new pro lens over the D200 if I were you.
A good pro lens on a D100 will give you better quality than a kit lens on the D200.
-Jason

Pick up a grip for it while you can. It makes a huge difference when shooting in portrait orientation. Plus, it just "feels" better in hand - to me, anyway...

Great camera for you to enjoy! I'm keeping mine for a while!

Well I was thinking the grip could be great but really I now have to stop spending money and learn how to use that gear the best.
The seller gave me the D200 Tom Hogans guide with the camera, so I now have over 700 pages to read to learn more about that D200!
Thanks everybody!
I am glad I have already sold my D100. within just a few days...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom