D200 & Photoshop Cs2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NANCY, Nov 21, 2005.

1. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    I am thinking of buying the D200 and am wondering if I will be able to open the RAW files directly to Photoshop CS2? I had to get the RAW 3.2 update to work with my D70s. Is there a way to open the RAW files in Photoshop without an update? I'm not very computer literate but really appreciate any help information I can get. I don't want to by the D200 and then be stressed out trying to get it to work in Photoshop. Help, please.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
  2. the raw 3.2 update that you have already installed will open them just fine.
    Enjoy!

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Do we know that for sure? In any event, even if ACR 3.2 doesn't work with D200 RAW files, Adobe will release an update quickly.

4. I am not sure this is correct. Here is the link to the supported camera formats and I do not see the D200 here. ACR is updated quarterly, and 3.3 beta has just been released, so you might have to wait until next March approximately to use ACR with the D200, unless the D200 files are the same as the D2X, which I doubt, knowing Nikon.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

On the other hand, someone may have already tried ACR and found it to work ...

If you do not want to use ACR, then the nikon view photoshop addin will probably work.

5. I may be wrong.
    i assumed it would on D2. My bad.

6. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    I actually called Adobe and they said that it was usually a few months after the new camera comes out before they have an update that can read the RAW files. I was hoping the person I talked to was wrong. What are those of you that are buying the D200 right away doing for processing?

7. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    What does ACR mean?

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Adobe Camera Raw

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think the reason they released a public beta of 3.3 was to get official Canon 5D support into the hands of customers, and I'd be really surprised if the final release of 3.3 doesn't arrive shortly after D200 which I'm sure will be supported. Adobe isn't stupid, they know there'd be an uproar (or maybe a mass exodus to their competitors) if all those new D200 users had to wait several months for version 3.4 to come out.

From what I've heard there have been little or no changes to the NEF format with the D200, it should just be a matter of creating an internal camera profile tweaked for the D200.

10. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    Thank all of you for your input. I really want the D200 but don't won't to be too frustrated after I get it so I am going to wait until Adobe has the update for it. Could someone please post on this site when that happens? Thanks.

11. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    I tried opening some D200 NEF files with CS2, with ACR 3.3 beta, this morning. Unfortunately CS2 doesn’t open them yet. As others have said, it shouldn’t be long though before Adobe remedies the situation...my fingers are crossed.

12. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Just install Nikon Capture 4.4.
    It should have a plugin that it installs in PS.
    You will have 15-30 days before you need to buy it.
    I think the plugin is left working.
    Or spend $99.00 and enjoy Nikon Capture like some of the rest of us do.

Birger

13. I believe you get the plugin with nikon view, a free download. Alternatively, you can download RSE, which is free, and likely to support the D200 very quickly.

14. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    If you are running a Mac, Apple - Aperture will have support right after the release as well.

C