1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D200 problem

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by ashman, Aug 17, 2008.

1. My D200 is suddenly not auto focusing, any ideas? I have reset the menus, changed the battery, tried different lenses, to no avail, the auto focusing system will simply not engage.

AM

2. Never mind, a full menu reset did the trick, weird.

AM

3. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Reset

Good for you AM. As long as we basically have computers in our camers, we will have those little "Grimlins" that like to hang out there.

Your post is a good reminder to us to try the fundamentals before we run to the repair shop. When my computer is acting stupid, a reboot is often all that is needed to wake it up.

Lynn

4. isom3tric

isom3tric Guest

I suddenly had this problem, I'm panicking. How do you exactly do a full menu reset. If its done through the menu I think I did it but its still not autofocusing. This thread relieved me a bit but please give me full instructions.

5. Push the two buttons where you see green dots, and hold them down for a few seconds, the display will then flash indicating that a full reset has been done.

AM

6. isom3tric

isom3tric Guest

I did that, and also through the menu. I even reloaded the firmware 2.00. Nothing is happening. :(  Anyone have an idea I would send it out to Nikon to repair, but I need it next week.

7. Have you changed the C/S/M switch to Manual? Try switching it to C then back to S and see if that makes any difference. Also try removing the battery for a minute or so then replace it. Good luck.

8. Good thread here

My D200 AF is acting up. It is sluggish, hunts, and sometimes just won't engage. It started somewhere around 25,000 clicks. I will give the menu reset a try.

Update: Can't tell if it worked right now. It was slightly backfocusing, and still seems to do so. Will give it a try this weekend on some of my standard subjects.

9. isom3tric

isom3tric Guest

Thanks bfullmer and tomTom I did check the C-S-M switch. This is what I've tried so far.

- Checked C-S-M switch (put it back and forth it clicks)
    - Checked if the motor-clutch responds to the C-S-M switch as others on this forum recommended, it goes up and down fine and there is definately torque when on the C-S mode.
    - Program reset (+/- and qual) held for a couple of seconds
    - Did reset menu via menus
    - Cleaned contact points with alcohol on both body and lenses
    - Reflashed firmware

If it matters, it happened while I had my AF 80-200mm f2.8 two-ring version.

Sorry for hijacking your thread ashman

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Tom, I thought just my D200 had the double stop! I had never left mine in the phantom detent, but if I do, my lenses whine like they are trying to focus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.