1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D200 Question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by SteveT, Sep 28, 2008.

1. SteveT

SteveT

May 27, 2008
    Greenville, SC
    I was reading a review about the D200 processor and the four channels it uses to process an image. I was wondering why there are two channels of green and only one channel each of red and blue. Are there more green color than meets the eye? Just wondering.

Thanks for any input,
    stevet/ newbieee

2. Steve,

There are more green pixels in the RGB array than there are R and B.

3. You actually hit it on the head. As per Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS3, it is noted that there are twice as many green because our eyes are most sensitive to green.

This is what is called the Bayer pattern.

Hope this helps, George.

4. SteveT

SteveT

May 27, 2008
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks Mark. I knew there was a reason for the two channels, but did'nt know why. Thanks for your responce.

stevet

5. SteveT

SteveT

May 27, 2008
    Greenville, SC
    Wow! Thanks George. I did'nt know that about our eyes. I'm new to digital, I come from the film days, and am still learning. Thanks for your input.

War Eagle!! (I'm from Alabama!)

SteveT

6. grepmat

grepmat

May 5, 2008
    USA
    The above answers are correct. The "Bayer" pattern that most sensors use includes 2 green pixels for each red and blue one.

It's interesting to speculate on just why our eyes are centered on green. Why not infrared or ultraviolet, for example? Perhaps it's because photosynthesis occurs due to molecules that reflect green, and orienting towards this (e.g., to eat) was crucially important at some point in the evolutionary history of life on earth.

Cheers.

7. SteveT

SteveT

May 27, 2008
    Greenville, SC
    That is interestering. Why not some other color? Just the way we are made. Thanks for your reply.

SteveT

8. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

i wonder how sigma 's favon chip works.similar to film it has 3 layers green,blue and red.

9. SteveT

SteveT

May 27, 2008
    Greenville, SC
    Wow Scooptdoo, the technology used in these cameras is totally awsome! I bet that would be a really fast processor.
    Thanks for your info.

SteveT

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.