D200 - Report from the cold

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Elf_8, Dec 30, 2005.

1. I'm just back from a 3 day outing for my Holidays. I took my D200 along while cross-country skying wondering how it would cope with the cold temperatures. My main concern was about the battery behaviour. These were not extreme conditions. The coldest day, the first one, was at -12 C (15 F) or so. The D200 fared perfectly, which was no surprise (I had the D70 out last winter at -30C). I was shooting compressed NEF, mainly using the 18-70, no flash, and some quick chimping. I was carrying a spare battery in my shirt pocket, not knowing what to expect from the one in the camera. Well, after two days, it has given me a little over 200 shots. This battery was in its second cycle only.
    Here are three shots from the fist day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2005
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful Christian. They look like beautiful paintings.
    Images are nice and crisp and clear...
    I do believe the D200 is a wonderful camera, something we all wanted with the great extra abilities.
    Nikon has a winner in my mind.
    I am not overly concerned with the battery thing. Just get extras. The camera is worth it.

Glad to hear the D200 did well for you..

3. Thanks Gale. A Happy New Year to you too.
    Frankly, I am impressed by the D200 - its dynamic range is capable of creating smooth and silky images I love. The battery thing... well it's just a grip !

4. wonderful images, must have been a very relaxing (for the soul) holiday.
    Dave

5. Love the first and last shot. Is that snow or stars above the trees?

Ming

6. Beautiful colors Christian and the snow looks great. Sounds like a fun vacation.

7. Very nice Christian. The landscape reminds me of the area near Chateau Montebello - is it?
    I went out in the beautiful winter conditions also (snowshoeing in the Lanaudière area), but too late in the day to shoot :frown: :frown:

8. Right Dave, physically demanding for the ol' man, but rewarding inside like no other thing.

9. Confusing, right ? The very dark sky is from using a polarizer, at a relatively modest altitude (1100 m), still enough to produce these "american night" skies. The white specks is from snow particules thrown around by a strong wind. I had to retouch some of the streaks it made that were distracting but kept those that had the appearance of stars, for the effect.

10. Thanks Gordon. I only wish it lasted a few days more...

11. It has been sort of a discovery for me. I was at Mont Mégantic - actually it should be called Massif Mégantic, as there are quite a few peaks ranging the 1000m tied together by steep ridges. The snow conditions are exceptional - but it's at about 3 hours from Montréal.

12. Povl P

Povl P Guest

Beautiful pictures - nice coloer, and sure look like a nice place to go for a few hollidays.

Povl P

13. Very nice shots Christian. I really like the first and the last ones and especially the last one.

Thanks for sharing.
    Benoit

14. Hi Christian...As always very nice work. I love looking at your work.

15. Christian,

Your images are magical especially the first and third! I love the effect produced by your polarizer. I hope you will share more...

16. Merci Benoit pour tes commentaires. On devrait se préparer un shoot-out dans le Vieux Montréal en janvier...

17. My sincere best wishes for the coming New Year - to you and your family. Hugs too !

18. So kind of you Crystal. My very best wishes for this New Year. Lets hope it brings the best to all of us.
    A polarizer under these conditions can make for a very dark sky and, right, the white snow is just bursting in front of it.

19. Hi Christian,

Nice workout for the D200. I like the first and last one best.

20. Thanks for commenting, Ty. We're only hours away from a New Year. Let's make it the one of our dreams. Think good, speak accordingly, act consequently.