D200 Sightings

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Uncle Frank, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Please post any d200 delivery information you come across on this thread.

My latest input is that they won't start shipping until the last week of the month. I hope I'm worng.

2. Many rumors about a 12/15 worldwide delivery date. :confused:

I'm still a bit surprised about the price and early delivery!

JohnG

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    My dealer hasn't heard anything official from Nikon other than the Dec 15, 2005 release date.

4. Jim Last

Jim Last Guest

Wednesday 14th December???

[​IMG]

A UK retailer, A J Purdy, has this image on their site.

5. Tried the D200 and all the other new stuff today.

As luck would have it, the local camera store had the D200, new 18-200 VR lens and the new creative lighting system to see (prototypes) at their annual sale. I got to hold and play with them all today. The D200 was quiet and display seemed user friendly. The 18-200 rather plastic, but smooth and fast focusing. The later should be a great walk around lens.

The new creative lighting system stuff comes in its own bag. There are lots of little accessory pieces so this will be a great way to hopefully keep them from getting lost.

I had to share with lots of other interested parties so didn't have too much time to experiment.

:smile: I was pretty excited about what I saw!:smile:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Lucky you! Do you have any other lenses in your arsenal you could compare it to with respect to build quality?

7. D200 Photos

I'm not sure I can answer your question, Pa. The plastic part that strikes one is the zoom, but the plastic parts are what help to make it lightweight too. If I get a chance I'll go back tomorrow and see what more I can tell you. My first look-see wasn't very scientific.

Here are a couple of photos which show the lens attached to the camera along with the creative lighting system. I didn't know, for example, that the D200 internal flash could be used to trigger the remotes that you'll see here in the pictures. There's a little gizmo you have to use to attach to the built-in flash to block the light so the IR works. The adapter rings for the flash units are only sized for Nikon lens, so, for example, they won't work on the Sigma 105 I took these photos with! Lens is 58mm.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
  9. I thought so the 15th was it for delivery. I can't wait to see everyone's pictures from the new machine. As for me, I'm staying with the D2X for the long run.

I hope the Lens will be released on that date as well.

Thank you VIrginia

10. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    The lens date is "sometime in December"... I haven't heard anything more on it. I'm guessing it will be within days of the D200 release...

BTW: Ken Rockwell just released a review of the new VR. Here's the link:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

He also released a D200 review as well -- lucky *******!
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200.htm

Peter

11. Hi Virginia,

I checked out your new website and I think it is a very good one. You done great. I like the layout. Easy to get around.

Thanks for sharing,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2005
  12. I did see one behind the wheel of a fedex truck. It was incognito, and had on a Canon t-shirt and hat.

13. Is that near Boynton Beach?

Hehehe.

14. My camera shop has just called me - confirmed available (in limited quantity) on Dec 15 (in Hong Kong and worldwide).

15. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Any "feel" comparison between the new 18-200VR vs. the 24-120VR?

16. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Phil :

I went "out of town" to a camera store in a small town in Texas who knows me. My local store was plumb-out of pre-orders and offered one next March. I telephoned the store in Texas, who said, "Sure, I've got three coming in next week. You want one ?"

Life is good.

John P.

P.S. And last I heard from that owner, he still has one "left over" !

17. Ritz Order

I just checked my Ritz order for the D200, and it says In Stock and Reserved. I hope that means that they will ship today.:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

18. Eastern europe has theirs, and a friend from France sent me an email with...a photo of a D200 on his desk...

Shame Nikon Malaysia tell me 'january'... :(

Ming

19. From what I'm hearing, Nikon dealers will begin selling the d200 tommorow. This has been a well orchestrated roll-out.

Nikon USA's press release of 11/1/05 stated that "The D200 will be available in late December 2005 for an estimated selling price of $1699.95." It looks like they're going to be right on target! I'm guessing authorized Nikon retailers already have inventory, but were under orders from Nikon not to fulfill any orders until December 15. If so, we should see an explosion of activity tomorrow, as an incredible new camera finds its way into eager hands.

It should be quite a celebration!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait a little longer. I'm #1 on Adorama's list but my mom's recovering from surgery, and Nancy and I will fly to Florida on Monday night to spend the holidays with her. I don't think there's a chance to get delivery by then, so Adorama's agreed to hold my camera until January 2 before shipping it. It will arrive in San Jose the day after I return home.

Fortunately, I'm enthralled with my new Cream Machine (85/1.4), so it isn't a problem. I'll have years to play with the d200 :biggrin:.

20. Watch out for changes in policy, Ming. I just read the following report from a poster on DP Review.