D200 & sigma 500 HSM

Discussion in 'Birds' started by phillip 200, Dec 19, 2005.

1. one from today.

Phillip.
    [​IMG]

Nikon D200
    Focal Length: 500mm
    Optimize Image: Custom
    Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
    Long Exposure NR: Off
    High ISO NR: Off
    2005/12/19 10:47:27.9
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    White Balance: Auto
    Tone Comp.: Low Contrast
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    AF Mode: AF-C
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Image Size: Large (3872 x 2592)
    1/25 sec - F/7.1
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Saturation: Moderate
    Color
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sharpening: Low
    Lens: 500mm F/4.5 D
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    :smile:

2. Nice shot! I am liking this combo myself, with the notable exception of the problem with the AF-On not working. I'll be on the phone shortly with Sigma about that one, hope they can sort it out quickly.

You liking the camera? I sure am :smile:

By the way, any issues with AWB?

3. Phillip the deatil in your shots is amazing everytime I so look forward to your posts. Have a nice holiday

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful Phiippe

Camera seems to have that D2X tone to color. Nice to see :>))))

5. Hi Bill I am quite impressed with it up to now, I did miss the vertical release I will probably get a grip if they are not to extortionate in price, I don't recall ever using the AF on button on any of my cameras so I would probably have never noticed it didn't work with the HSM lenses ?.

Phillip.

:smile:

6. Thank you and this season's greetings to yourself.

Phillip.:smile:

7. I was "introduced" to the AF-On button by none other than Ron Reznick, who said "Do This", to which I answered along the lines of "No Way, you are CRAZY", but he convinced me anyway and I have never gone back. Sad to say, but once again, for me, Ron was spot on :smile:

For reasons I don't completely understand, I am much more stable, especially with Flight Shots, in tracking when I use my thumb to initiate AF and just use my finger to release the shutter. Trying to go back, I find that I don't seem to be as stable any longer with the Shutter Release. Sure it is all me, but I want my AF-On back!!!! :wink:

I think the grip is a couple of hundred US, and I will certainly get one when available. I really like the added resolution, the difference when cropping is really obvious from the D2H.

8. I think the grip is a couple of hundred US, and I will certainly get one when available. I really like the added resolution, the difference when cropping is really obvious from the D2H.[/QUOTE]

Hi Bill a quick telephone call and I've been quoted around £250 UK that equates to about 400 dollars:eek: :Money: I think the AF on Button is a nikon problem really as it works with all my previous digital bodies, then there should have been no reason for them to change it its nikon we really should be complaining to not sigma.

Phillip.

9. Bummer on the price of the grip over there. As to the AF-On, I disagree. Sigma reverse-engineers the protocol for the command set and given that all of the Nikon lenses have no problem understanding the D200 commands it appears that they understand a "range" of commands, where the Sigma doesn't. This is the same reason that 3rd party lenses have had to be re-chipped before. Now, as to why Nikon has changed this on the D200, I really don't know. Two possibilities come to mind. The first is to annoy companies like Sigma, the second, which I think is more likely, is that they have decided to record for future use which specific button was used to activate AF. With the D200 we now have: 1) the shutter release 2) the 10-pin remote 3) AF-On 4) the Multi-Selector in Shooting Mode setting and 5) AF-On from the vertical grip. Not sure why this would be important, but unless Nikon will tell me, and I asked, I can't say for sure. Oh, there is a third possiblity, they made a mistake that is somehow still recognized by the Nikon lenses :wink:

Time will tell, hopefully I'll have a response from both in the next few days.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shot Phillip. Like another poster said, I look forward to each of your posts. They show what can be done with long lenses, and give me inspiration to get better. :smile:

11. Sweet shot Phillip, nice to see you making the most out of your new cam!!!

12. Beautiful shot Phillip. I love my Sigma 500 and you inspire me to get better.

13. Very nice shot. I'm impressed with what I seen so far coming out of the D200.

14. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Very nice shot. Glad that you're out and enjoying your new toy.