D200 simulation

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by orfeas, Jul 8, 2008.

1. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    I ve been using for a long time Nikon's D70
    and then D200
    Both of them had CCD and the colors were rich enough but not brownish as they look in my D300.
    I believe the CMOS sensor makes a huge difference in color rendering.

Is there a way to reproduce D200's colors in D300 ??
    Tried several Picture profiles but none could get close to what I've been used to

2. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    No but you can add picture controls that simulate the D2x colors.

3. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    I visited your site and confirmed that brownish/reddish colour in people's faces.
    Is there a picture profile available that could remove that cast??

4. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    LOL, which photos are you referring to? If you're referring to my concert photos, the white balance was off on a lot of them, which I've corrected in some.

Concerts are hard to get good white balance with red, green, blue, yellow stage lights pointed directly at the camera. ;)

5. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Subjective

Hello orfeas,

I have previously started two posts asking for help in trying to match the D300 output to my D50, since I do prefer its color rendering, to no avail...

BTW I also owned a D200 for a while, and prefer its color rendition to the D300's as well.

My main issue is with skintones, which seem to have an irritating magenta cast to them, and WB seems too difficult to get correct, no matter which picture control I use (even D2X modes), hue settings, WB, brightness, saturation, etc... Blue skies never look real either. Even the D2Xmodes in the D300 look very different than anything shot with the D200 in modes I and III, go figure...

My empirical conclusion is that there's something inherent to the way sensors render color that cannot be changed in PP without significant effort.

You'll probably hear about monitor calibration, custom curves, and so on, but to me, in the end, it all boils down to what you like or prefer and to me, although I might be alone on this one, I'll pick the CCD based colors to the new CMOS ones anytime.

It's a matter of subjective color perception I guess, most people seem to be very excited about the D300 color, I'm not.

Please, take all my comments in context, I'm no professional, nor do I have any special knowledge on DSLRs, photography is just my hobby....

6. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    You re reading my thoughts!
    But there is one point I disagree.
    This is not about like or dislike color rendering from CCD/CMOS.
    When shooting with D300 the colors are different from real ones I can see with bare eye.
    When shooting with D200 colors are really close to what I see.
    So we re talking about objective color reproduction.
    The brownish/reddish flesh I see in my D300 portraits with or without flash
    is absolutely unreal, fake, fictional

7. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Do you shoot raw or jpeg?

8. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    always raw..

Portraits viewed in VieNX with default settings
    or inside the camera
    look awful.
    Same images takes with D200 are far more human.

The skin tone is rather brownish in D300
    I cannot fix it with manual WB nor with Picture Control.
    D2XmodeI or Neutral get close to wanted result
    but then the saturation is too low.

I just want the white/pink skin tones my D200 produced.
    Faces taken with D300 look like dead!!

10. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    TonyBeach:
    I am sure the legs of the left boy are not so brown in real life!!

11. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    You use ViewNX? Hmm have you tried another RAW developer, i use Capture one and i think it works fine with the D300, not far from my D2X at all.

12. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    I tried Lightroom, CaptureNX2 and Photoshop.
    Silkypix and CaptureOne not yet
    Here are some examples
    d200 sample [​IMG]
    white faces with pink cast, skin in background is orange

d300 sample [​IMG]
    brownish hair, dead faces, not human skin.
    partially lit faces far behind are more brownish as well.

Am I using wrong monitors??
    Do you see these problems too??

13. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

The images I took that day look fine to me.

Addendum: I forgot to mention that the shot you didn't like was taken at ISO 800, the one above it was taken at ISO 640.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i too don't care for the skin comming out of the 300. however, i do like most the skin that Bandnuts/Kap has been posting ...u might want to send him a private message for some help.....;-)))

15. i wanted the D200 simulation as well

so i just bought a D200 (LOL) - just messing with ya D300 owners :wink: I am not a Canon fan by any means, but if u like nice skin, try the 5D.

To get great skin in PP:

I own PhotoShop CS3, but i recently downloaded a trail of PhotoShop Elements 6 and there is an incredible skin tone adjustment feature that should fix any color issues you have, it's simply amazing, i don't know why it isn't part of CS3.

16. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    for Nute

Hi Nute,

first off, I admire your portrait work very much, so I'm extremly interested in your opinion about this.

Could you ellaborate on why you think or feel the D200 has better skintone?

Thanks.

17. Cathy W.

Cathy W. Guest

Try this...

I never upgraded my D200 to the D300. I like the improved autofocus of the D300 but I wasn't liking the early colors I was seeing out of the camera. Lately I've been seeing a lot more natural colors - I don't know if it is due to any firmware or just people overcoming the learning curve but it is good to see. Anyhow I did a lot of research when I was considering the D300 and found this site, which may be of use to you.

http://mindofaphotographer.blogspot.com/2008/06/d300-picture-control-comparison.html

It has a link to the D2x controls for the D300 which may help you solve your issue. Color is so subjective, everyone likes a different feel to their images (that's why there was so many film choices in the past!). This site shows what most of the controls look like with skin tones and a color chart. Hope this helps and that you figure this out! Let us know.

-cw

18. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    hotrod4x5: Here is a thought about your two versions (apart that they re nice shots)
    The 1st is reddish enough, I can't believe his arm or his neck was so red at the time of shooting.
    The 2nd is more neutral, it doesn't have a colorcast, but I can notice diminished saturation.

I ve been staring at D300 images for a long time,
    my verdict is
    You cannot get natural results just out of the camera.
    What you see with bare eye is far away from what the camera produces.
    It is not a personal flavour when trying to capture reality.

When trying to get natural skin tones I prefer a neutral (*SkinTone) picture profile
    but when trying to capture landscapes I prefer saturated (*Velvia) picture profile.

what should I do when I have a portrait in front of a fabulous landscape??