D200 vs D100 camera shake

I have had a D100 for the past 4 years or so and am seriously contemplating buying a D200. Virtually all my photos are taken handheld. I have read in the past posts to the effect that new users of the D200 experience blurry photos, due to the increased pixel density, until they learn to overcome it.

I would very much appreciate any guidance as to how big an issue this is in practice (given reasonable handholding technique). Specifically, have others upgrading found they take fewer keepers, or have they had to use increased shutter speeds for equivalent shots, is it simply a question of concentrating more on technique? Is there anyone who would prefer a 6 mp sensor in a
D200 body for this reason?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Alan

I noticed it coming from a D2H, and mainly shooting the long end of the 70-200 or the 70-200 with a TC (handheld). I knew it was a possibility, but for some reason maybe I thought I would have to be a pixel peeper to notice. My handheld technique isn’t the best and I overcame the shakes with higher shutter speed. Now that I have had the D200 for a few months it doesn’t bother me and instead of feeling like it is a weakness of the D200, I just generally feel like I can get away with more using the D2H.

I like the 10mp, and that was one of the reasons that I bought the camera. I have a D70 that I don’t use much anymore, and the difference between 4-6 or 6-10MP is not very significant, but 4-10 was worth adding another body for me.

There are a couple of things to consider. First, is the higher pixel density, as you mention, but that seems to me to be an issue primarily because of the propensity to view the images at 100%. The d200 has almost double the number of pixels, which enlarges any defects that you see, at 100%. Of course, the extra pixels means that you'll see 4mp of information that is simply not in a d100 shot. :smile:

Second, the d100 base ISO is 200. The d200 base is 100, which cuts your exposure parameters in half. So, if you don't take that into account, ie your shutter speed is half of what it would be with the higher ISO, you are shooting at a decided disadvantage.

I don't see any reason to believe that hand held shooting is any more difficult with the d200 than it is with the d100, assuming that you have the same exposure parameters and good technique.

If you are using good technique, you shouldn't have any issues, other than the ones previously mentioned. I went from the D100 to a D200 and didn't really have any issues. I then went to a D2x and don't have any serious issues. I will say that neither the D200 or D2x are very forgiving of poor technique, so when I start to have problems, I usually find it's just me getting a little sloppy. The D100 was more forgiving in this regard.

Coming from a D70s to a D200 the only thing I did Was not go bellow ISO 200 for the first two weeks. Then slowly started dropping to ISO 100.

You shouldn't have a problem with the D200 I also have a D100. What you will find is when you go to the D200 or D2X bodies they are very precision cameras and tend to be more unforgiving to glass that is not at the high end of the scale. In other words any lens defects tend to be more noticable with the higher end bodies. There are many reviews I have read that support this opinion such as Bjorn Roslett's for one.- Jeff

Have to bump up this post for any newe D200 users like me. I had noticed this problem when switching from a D70 to D200. It really came to my attention when I was shooting in somewhat shaded areas that called for a drop in the shutterspeed down to 1/640. Never thought twice about it with the D70, but ugh, the results were not good for me with the D200!!
Needless to say I was a little worried. Overall, I knew how everyone loves this camera so I knew the problem had to lie with me, but reading this puts my mind to rest. Now I know I just suck!!! LOL :biggrin:

Just kidding. Cartainly can always use a little tightening up on my technique. I was working regularly with a tripod for a while but dropped off on it, guess it wouldn't hurt to start again, eh?

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
I have read in the past posts to the effect that new users of the D200 experience blurry photos, due to the increased pixel density, until they learn to overcome it.

This is absolutely the most ridiculous photographic urban legend ever. If your photos are blurry it's because you're not holding the camera steady enough for your shutter speed. Period!

Holding a camera properly is not limp-wristed advice for sissies... it's fundamental to good photography. That's why it's usually on page 2 of every camera manual ever printed.

This is absolutely the most ridiculous photographic urban legend ever. If your photos are blurry it's because you're not holding the camera steady enough for your shutter speed. Period!

Holding a camera properly is not limp-wristed advice for sissies... it's fundamental to good photography. That's why it's usually on page 2 of every camera manual ever printed.

The more I think about it, extra pixels causing blurr doesn't make much sense, does it?
I guess you might be able to attibute some blame (?) to just getting used to the extra weight. In a celebratory posting I had claimed that my new D200 could make me run faster and jump higher but would not take the picures for me.
You are correct Woody, it must be the technique. Bumping up to a more finely tuned instrument merely accents the things we need to improve overall.
Thanks for your input.

FWIW I do find the D200 a bit tougher to control vibration with (even with MLU and delay) compared to some other bodies that I shoot. The F5 and F4 will spoil you in this regard :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade

Agreed,

Moving from D70 to D200 I had found some sloppy work in my camera holding technique which the increased pixel density nicely showed me! :eek: All the great learning and lessons and practice I had way way back in the old film days had been slopped over with the D70 and the 24-120VR I was using at the time for general street photography. I was aghast at how sloppy I had become!

On my long lens though, the problem was the mirror slap on the d200 was much greater than the D200 and required even more consideration as you took the shot. As an experiment I took shots from a locked tripod, same lens, different bodies, and fired the shutter with a cable release, the D200 shook the lens much more than the D70, just watching through the viewfinder as I pressed the cable release or IR release showed a whole lot more vibration from D200. Was an interesting lesson. I now use Mirror lock up whenever possible.

Wade

These are all part of the D200 "Learning Curve." Once you improve your technique it's a wonderful tool. It expects from you, what you expect from it.

Woody, I agree 100%. I had no transition problems moving from a N90s and F100 shooting Velvia, to a D70s, to a D200. Why don't you see the same difficulties with D80 users and blurry photos? It has the same sensor. I still believe alot of D200 users were confused by it's autofocus system.

J

jeremyInMT

Moving from D70 to D200 I had found some sloppy work in my camera holding technique which the increased pixel density nicely showed me! :eek:

So what you're saying is that the increased pixel density really does take more care to use? Although the OP may have spoken things not quite correctly, I think everyone here is really proving it to be correct. Higher pixel density can create some problems...Not that they can't be fixed though.

Lol! I couldn't agree more. I've never noticed any difference between a d50, d70s, d80 or d200! Or for that matter any of my film cameras. As a matter of fact a slightly heavier camera should induce less shake and blurriness.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
So what you're saying is that the increased pixel density really does take more care to use? Although the OP may have spoken things not quite correctly, I think everyone here is really proving it to be correct. Higher pixel density can create some problems...Not that they can't be fixed though.

more like it shows up operator error easier. It is not inherently blurry or doesn't cause blur, I simply needed to hold the camera steadier, even at the same ISO speeds.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
As a matter of fact a slightly heavier camera should induce less shake and blurriness.

Unless it's mirror slap is more pronuounced which the D200 has more mirror slap vibration over the d70. Much more slap, more vibration which begats more blur if not held properly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom