D200 vs D2H

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by ultimind, Jul 13, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    What sort of advantages do either camera offer over the other? I know what they have to offer spec wise... but I'm looking more for realworld opinions. The 8fps isn't of any great use to me on the D2H... Nor is 10mp a big deal either. I'm currently shooting with a D70 and I'm looking to upgrade to one of these bodies.

Any input would be a great help! :biggrin:

2. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

What do you shoot ?
    If you only ever shoot inside take the D200. If you go outside the D2H has far better weather protection (if you get caught in the rain/snow etc).
    Shoot in portrait mode ? The D2H has an inbuilt portrait mode grip, the D200 has a 'cost-extra' grip.
    Do you need lightweight? Go for the D200.
    Do you want long battery life? Go for the D2H.
    It all depends on your usage :smile:

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    My D70 battery can easily last me through 750 shots. I need atleast that good of battery life. (I RARELY use the LCD screen).

I shoot mainly outdoors, and the weatherproofing would be a big help for sure.

How does the D2H compare to the D2Hs in high ISO situations?

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi david-

the D2H will do 750 shots on a full charge easily, even with image review (that's how i have mine set). the D200 isn't as good with one battery, but if you add the grip with a second battery, you'll be ok. you should be able to get 750 shots without image review though. i can get about 500 with image review turned on and using uncompressed NEF's.

as for weatherproofing, both cameras have seals, so it's a tossup. the D2H probably has a slight advantage since it doesn't have a built-in flash.

big advantage of the D2H over the D200? better AF (more cross sensors, better location of the sensor for my use, and more power motor for AF lenses). i've lost some shots with the D200 that the D2H would have nailed.

the images of the D2H also have a certain pop out of the box that the D200 images need a little post processing to equal. if you like having a vertical grip, the integrated grip of the D2H feels much better than the D200+MB-D200 combination. but this can also be a drawback if you're looking for a lighter kit to carry around. i do like having a built-in flash for those moments when you need the extra light or need a remote commander.

there are also small things, like the CF door of the D2-series a better design IMO than the D200. in the D200's favor is it's better LCD and more comprehensive menu settings.

if i had to choose one camera or the other, i'd go for the D2H as i'm more confident in it's ability to get me the shot over the D200. but i would miss the resolution.

ricky

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    D200 is very near the D2H in noise and I like the auto WB in the D200 over the D2H and D2xs,

The D2HS of course is better in noise than the D200, I like the door feature of the D200, less steps to open in a hurry, also the size is nice. If you crop a lot the D2H doens't handle large crops as well,

Auto focus in good light not much difference, in dim light and tough light, D2H or any D2 body, all the way. Faster with AF lenses just a little.

I easily get 750 shots on a D200 battery/camera even with VR lenses, but I keep the meter on short durationand LCD off. I shoot compressed nef only,

The D200 is a remarkable camera, but the D2h and hs are the speed demons.

Cheers,

Wade

6. I currently have a D2x and D200. I sold my D2H and D1X and my wife has a D70 that I have also used. My opinion, get the D200 with the MB200 battery pack/vertical grip. The only reason to get a D2h/s is for the 8 FPS. You said you don't need the speed so the 5 FPS of the D200 should be enough. Wade touched on the most salient point..if you have to crop the 4 MP suddenly becomes 2 or less MP and then if you enlarge then IM suffers greatly. To get decent enlargement from as D2H you have to shoot full frame and nail the exposure. I have some 13X19 images of the Terra Cotta Soldiers I took in China with the D2H that I really like. You can judge for yourself on my website. Those were shot with quality glass 70-200 VR and FULL FRAME. You said 10 MP is no big deal to you...my response is.. it should be especially if you want to crop. If you get a sensational image that you want to enlarge and hang on your wall you will want the best image quality possible, with more MP, the better your chances are of achieving that.
    Hope this helps
    Michael
    www.imagesbymichaelrogers.com

7. I have both the D200 and D2H. My simple answer is that I use the D200 for everything, except fast action things, like sports. Back when I was using my D100, it wouldn't focus fast enough for shooting my daughters sports. So, I bought the D2H. Once I got the D200, I still wasn't happy with it's performance when shooting sports.(But I like the D200 for everything else)

8. If you don't need/want a sports camera then no need for the D2H. I think the D2H is an amazing camera but it's also fairly big and hefty which I find to be its biggest drawback. Others will have very different opinions on the D2H. Some good some not so good.

The D200 does offer some real functionality over your D70 but YMMV on how valuable they are to you. Like the Sarg I was unimpressed with the "speed" of the D200. Fine camera otherwise.

What is it about your D70 that you feel is lacking? Knowing that would help us with the advice. :tongue:.

FWIW, some of my best pics were captured with a D70.

Regards
    JohnG

9. Exact same setup here - also D2h RAW files are much smaller so easier to manipulate and store for non-critical shots, and MCAM2000 AF module is just a dream.
    The shutter black out of the D2h is also the fastest of all Nikon bodies, instead of a "click - click" that you see and hear with the D100/70s or even D200, the D2h mirror is so fast it just sounds like 1 "click".

10. According to Thom Hogan's ebook on this matter, the D200 drains battery like crazy when shooting RAW, especially uncompressed RAW - I'm talking if you only shot JPG the battery will last up to 2x or 3x longer (number of shots).

11. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Battery life or not...

I like the image quality of D2H better. I cannot explain it but may be because of the LBCAST sensor the PQ is diferrent. (almost reminds me of my film days). The noise is not good at high ISO though..that is unless you nail the exposure.
    Also the d2H just feels right in my hands..
    I use D1H for low light high ISO shoots
    I use the D2H for good light day time shots and portraits
    I use D200 for everything else and when I want to travel light and do not need FPS.
    This might change now that I just have won a used S2 from ebay ;) 

I also hate the large D200 file sizes in post as it is much slower to deal with...and I do not do large prints often.

JMHO...

12. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    Here is my camera progression: D70, D2h, D200, and now D2Hs. I shoot my young kids and find the 8 fps helpful but the biggest advantage is the CAM 2000 focus system. It kicks the D200 up and down the street. This is particurily so in lower light levels. THAT is the reason to go with the D2h (or Dh2s or d2x). You can see from my camera progession that I first had a d2h (cam 2000) and then the utlra cool d200 was annoucnced. Of course, its specs sounded sooo cool that I sold the D2h and put myself on the waiting list for its release. I had that camera 2 months and missed the d2h so much that I got a d2hs and sold the d200. It is pretty much a prefect camera. I wish it had a few more MPs, but I have never really been disappointed with its IQ. As a side note: the battery, if that's important to you, will last about 3,000 shots. I have taken the camera on a week long vacation, shooting like mad, and still have plenty of battery life. Also of note, if you can afford it, get the D2hs over the D2h. They are slightly different cameras.

13. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I would say my biggest need in a new camera body over my current D70 is to get something that does better high ISO.

With the majority of my shots ending up on the web, and a very select few being printed... the megapixel count isn't a very large concern.

D1H would be nice because I can get a nice one for under $400. D2H is going to be a little more than double that, and a D200 is even more.

What am I gaining other than megapixels and battery life over a D1H?

14. If you're looking for better high ISO (than your D70) you should check out the "lowly" D50. I've found it to be absolutely amazing in terms of IQ at mid-high ISO settings.

If money didn't matter I'd say take a long look at the D2HS.

Regards
    JohnG

15. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It's my understanding that the D50 shares the DSP and sensor of the D70... I'll have to look into it further.

16. I've owned both cameras and the D50 is absolutely better at high ISO settings.

JohnG

17. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Nikon needs to get with the likes of Pentax and make their <$1000 cameras weather sealed. I got a chance to play with a Pentax K10D the other day, and for $779 brand new (body only) it was as solid as a D200. And the sensor stabilization was extremely cool. Being able to stabilize even old screw mount/MF lenses is something that Nikon and Canon really need to catch on to. The Pentax wasn't anything special high ISO wise or even resolution wise for that matter... it was the same as my D70. I couldn't make a brand switch if my image quality wouldn't improve.

I'll have to try out my buddy's D50 next time he's in town... That would be a cheap way into a 2nd camera body.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.