D200 with deliberation...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Uncle Frank, Dec 18, 2005.

1. All it takes is the d200, good glass, decent lighting, a solid grip, and a beautiful model.

OK, I got 4 out of 5 :wink:.

Our forum mate, Philippe Roger, kindly agreed to be my model, and the shots were taken with the 85/1.4. These samples are straight out of the camera, and have only been downsized. The d200's high iso noise reduction was set to "normal".

The first was taken at f/2 and iso100
    original.

f/2 and iso800
    original.

f/1.4 and iso100
    original.

2. Philippe's Looking Good!

Hi Frank,

These are good shots in line with my expectations for this camera. My D200 arrives on Monday, but I was growing a little worried after some less than ecstatic comments about the new body by good photographers like yourself. Moving up from a D2H and D70, it appears I’ll have to drink decaf on shooting days.

3. Philippe is a good looking devil, but I think Belle is the better model :wink:.

His pics would have looked better if I has sharpened them a bit to offset the downsizing. Here's a link to the untouched original of the ISO800 shot if you'd like to pixel peep.

http://www.pbase.com/unclefrank/image/53697097

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. I didn't know Phillipe was such a handsome guy. Love image #1. Then again they are probably all distorted by the high pixel count in the D200. Very nice Frank.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice shots Frank. The last shot with some sharpening applied after down-rezzing is an improvement. You'll find that with the 10mp images, they tend to soften up a bit more than 6mp images when downsized for the web so the sharpening is definitely a good idea. Are these from NEF or did you shoot JPEG? I took a look at the full-rez ISO800 and it looks pretty good, in fact I'd say better than the D2x can do at ISO 800.

8. I'm a jpeg shooter, Jeff. I'll stay that way for the moment, because I'd need a new computer and bigger memory cards to shoot RAW. For nature photographers, I'm sure the d200 will shine with RAW.

9. I have to agree with everyone. These pictures make me look pretty good... despite the "beautiful model" not being up to Frank's usual standard. But guess what? My wife likes them a lot: go figure! :tongue: :smile:

I retouched and printed the full size one that Frank has at his PBase site (the ISO 800 one), without any noise reduction, besides what the D200 did in-camera , and I think NR was either low or normal, and I am mightily impressed and Julene is pleased! Perhaps that's the nudge I needed to get the D200 and/or the 85 1.4! :eek: :eek:

For those who haven't seen Frank's other thread (in the LLD forum, so beware!), follow this link

Anyway, here is the D200 is all its glory, taken with my D2h and Frank's 85/f1.4, and showing a pic taken with the D200 and the 85/1.4!
    [​IMG]

And just for Gordon :)eek::tongue: :biggrin:), here is today's Frank's model, taken by him with my D2h and the 105 AIS f/2.5, wide open (manual focus): with a wee bit of post-processing. It turned out real nice too, methinks. Not bad for an obsolete camera and a lens from an era gone by... :cool: :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Hey Jeff,

I would agree that with the massive downsampling that occurs from 10/12 megapixels to less than 1 megapixel for web presentation, the images will definitely soften more than with the D70/D100/D2h(s) and I think most people (on dpreview that is) are either ignorant of the need of sharpening for the output, or don't realize how much more important it has become with these hi-res cameras. I too was really impressed with the (lack of) noise at ISO 800.

In fact, this (and Frank's 85/1.4 Cream Machine) are directly responsible for a big relapse of my LLD (and body LD too!). No fair... :eek: :mad: :smile: :biggrin:

11. These images look very good. How about metering? Any adjusting or take the camera's word for it?

Also, I have realized there is a downside to the "cream" effect! I can no longer look at your photos and say "hey I recognize that place!"

The light today was wonderful. Shot quite a bit of my kids using a 50 1.2. Very moody.

12. I used matrix metering for the two f/2 shots, and spot metering for the f/1.4. The camera did the hard work.