D200 +---

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by nfoto, Dec 20, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Testing of the D200 is in progress. Some unofficial answers can already be given to questions asked:

+ image quality is excellent, high ISO behaves well . Need much more testing on this, also direct comparisons to D2X are to be undertaken

- battery performance might not be up to snuff compared to D70 or D2X. I'm currently shooting at -5C and the new battery probably needs some cycles to gain full capacity, today it's a real setback.

- IR response is poor. Need more comparison shots to qualify, but Nikon (as they promised and we IR-aficionados feared) have curtailed IR even more than on the D2X

- UV response is poor given that this is a CCD-based camera. Response at least 3 stops less than D70 which brings D200 down to the level of D2X, a CMOS system. Again, Nikon kept their promise ("treat").

Handling is good and I now have found out most of the settings to suit my peculiar tastes. Had to open the manual to drill down to the less intuitive ones, such as getting rid of the silly flashing red gridlines in the finder.

Oh well, I'm on my way to continue field work. No more tidbits.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the update Bjorn. Please let us see some of your field shots. That's the true test. :smile:

3. I'll be very interested to see your batery findings. My shooting over the weekend was between 25-36F, and I was surprised to see the battery meter drop. I do not know how many shots I could have gotten, as I didn't drain the battery, but being at 48% after about 200 shots was not encouraging, although I was accessing the menu quite frequently.

Glad to see your other comments regarding quality and handling, they match mine. Now for me I just need Sigma to resolve the AF-On button issue....

4. Bjorn...

Thanks a lot for the quick update. I will take your suggestion of a IR converted D70.

Regards.
    Ben

5. Bjorn, good to hear your input.
    I suppose your filter pack is still in...perhaps when that comes out it'll help out :)

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I have a review sample, not my personal D200. However, if I can coax one of the techs at my local Nikon repair facility into a pilot project entailing the temporary relief of the internal filter (so as to allow me to shoot UV and IR), I'll do it nevertheless :biggrin:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bjorn,
    You da man....lolol

heehee can't believe I used that terminology...

You are a genious.
    If you said doo doo tasted good I would prob believe you.

I remember in school...Newton whoooooo.. No not interested, not reading it.

hahahahaha Guess what is on my desk at work while i sit on hold. Yeah you got it. Reading Newton.

Have fun with the new tools. Will be following.

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well I can understand the disappointment of some with the UV/IR response of these newer cameras, but for most of us it is indeed a good thing.

Battery life is not surprising, compared to the D70s you're now having to save substantially larger files on essentially the same battery.

I'll be interested to see what you think about the high-ISO perf compared to the D2x.

9. merlin50

merlin50

Nov 5, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Bjorn,

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts and findings. I look forward to more when time permits.

Dave