D200...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mart61, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Keep toying with making the step toward the D200 from my D80. Don't really need one. However, I can pick up the body at LHR duty free for £710. The D80 bodies are selling for around £400 - £425 regularly on eBay here too.

So, if I got lucky on the Bay, it would make the cost of change less than £300!

But do I need one?

Discuss.

:biggrin:

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Although I have never shot with a D80 or a D200, the upgrade to a D200 is probably a good decision. But, you openly state that you don't need the upgrade. Instead, would adding to your lens selection make some sense? It has widely been known that glass is more important than bodies.

3. I've never shot with the D80, but I love my D200. It's a big step from my D100 (although I still love the D100 too). What type of shooting do you do? What, on the D200, do you really want that you don't have on your D80?

Dave

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I love my D200

Like anyone did not know that...lolol

5. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Stay Away!!!

Joe,

ExpressCamera is not very good. It looks like one of the various low price scam sites that charge extra (as well as way over priced) for standard items then cancel your order if you don't agree to their pitch. Some people even report that their card/bank was charged anyway.

Good advice passed on by others - do not order from anybody until you check their ratings here

http://www.resellerratings.com/

Peace
    Mark

6. ExpressCamera is a fraud, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!

Dito on the resellertaings.com

ExpressCamera does the ole bait and switch routine. Their prices are so low because they are selling you the bare bone camera and its grey market.

A friend of mine bought from their sister company, BestPriceCamera, she was taken for a huuuge ride.

7. joepilot

joepilot

Mar 21, 2007
    Richmond Va.
    Thats what I thought . thanks

8. Another note, I find that in the photography world, if the price is too good to be true, it is and it comes with a nasty lesson.

9. I have very limited experience with the D80, but one big advantage (to me, at least) is the access to often used controls on the outside of the D200 body. There are many shots I probably would have missed if I had to root through menus to get to the settings I needed to change. I went from a D70s (still have it) to a D200, and was quite pleased with the well thought out design of the D200. I often get frustrated now when I'm shooting with the D70s. The D200 is a great piece of equipment and definitely worth the upgrade even if it isn't "needed".

Then again, I do enjoy spending other people's money on camera gear. :wink:

10. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Agree completely with Steph. Although I have very limited experience with the D80, I upgraded to the D200 from the D50 following an African safari where I missed far too many shots while fiddling with menus (eg. ISO) that are readily available on the outside of the D200. Other D200 features (sturdier construction, faster continuous shooting, etc.) are icing on the cake.

11. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    That's for the speedy response folks.

It would seem that everyone loves their D200s. I'm not really too sure quite what a D200 does that the D80 doesn't that I'd want. I guess really I need to re-assess my "needs" (read wants) and think about it.

I do really like my D80 those, just always want more - that's me...

More homework is required.

12. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    The D200, as mentioned, has easier access to the controls you need than the D80. ISO, WB, and QUAL are all right on the top. It shoots a little bit faster at 5 fps, if that matters to you. I believe that it also has a larger memory buffer, but I'm not sure on that point.

13. You know you want to Mart, I tell you what I'll give you a tenner for your D80:biggrin:

14. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for the input guys.

A tenner ya say Dave? I did an APB to the dealers whose email's I haveand the prices differ significantly:

Price for D200
    Highest = £900
    Lowest = £799

Price offered for my D80
    Highest = £350
    Lowest = £225

Just shows it pays to shop around!

15. As you say Mart, it does pay to shop around, I always find it interesting to compare how the p/x values compare to the price of what you are looking to p/x against, I normally find that the higher p/x offers are from the companies that sell at the higher price as it is just offset that way, so in the end sometimes it is better to take the lower value on he p/x and buy at the lower price as you still end up saving more money.

16. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I think I'm going to be moving to the D200 soon (or whatever comes out to replace it) from my D50. I too like having the ability to change settings on the fly without delving into the menu system. I'll keep my D50 though for my wife to use.

17. I bought a D80 when I went digital in Dec '06, by Mar I had upgraded to a D200. The D80 was a very good camera, but....

I wanted:

• weather sealing
    • higher FPS
    • settings banks
    • quick access to the "3 kings", ISO, WB & Qual
    • the WB settings were unknown to me at eval, but a welcome feature!
    • higher torque motor to drive my AIS lense

I'm very happy w/ my D200...

18. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Really??? I have not read that before.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. You should work for Nikon... you are the best advertisement for the D200 ever!!! :smile::smile:

19. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Well, I had a good look at the D200 on Saturday and, whilst it is undeniably a step up from the D80, it's not enough of a step for me to make the change.

The things many of you kind responders stated as being easier on the D200 to change than on the D80, I'm not sure I really need the speed. Many of the things mentioned here that are easier are: WB, ISO, QUAL etc are not difficult to change on the D80. All of these can be changed without needing to go into the colour screen-based menu.

So, thanks for your input people - you helped me decided that, for me at least, the change is not worthwhile.

Now, when the D300 hits the streets...