D2H, 60mm micro and the Shrimp Plant

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Hi All,

Here is another set of images captured with the D2H and my 60mm micro lens. I have to admit, I really struggled with this combination. I found it easier to shoot with the Beast because it balances so nicely on the D2H. Uh oh, watch out...I am beginning to justify the 200mm micro lens... :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, by the way, does anyone recognize this species?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
  2. Where did you find this? I've never seen those before.

Beautiful images.

3. Hi Beezle,

These images were taken at the Rawlings Conservatory and Botanic Gardens in Baltimore, MD. I have seen this species at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Suquare, PA, but I cannot remember the name of the species. I have warmed the images a bit to soften them, I think they may have been just a bit more burgundy, but I prefer this effect. What do you think?

4. To be honest I like it a lot. I actually think many digital images are too sharp. Too harsh.

I like the gentle transition from the focused foreground to the stem in the last one.

I love the color of these flowers. Very rich.

Artistically, I like them, but they also give me an impression such that I wouldn't be surprised to hear they are from a botanical book. I've seen this in other photos of yours. (that's a compliment, by the way)

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Crystall
    Very nice. Clear and good color.

Called Shrimp Plant.

6. The one I like the most is the first one. The 200 gives you more room but being a f4 it's not as bright as the 60f2.8 the lenshood on the 200 is of very high quality, it is metal and it is fit very well on the lens not like those plastic ones.

7. Beezle, Gale, and Gilles,

Thank you all for your kind words. I was pleasantly surprised by these photos. It was my first visit to the conservatory and I am sure I will be returning on a regular basis. The Shrimp plant (thank you Gale) is quite lovely. This plant was much larger than the one I saw at Longwood. It was very robust and full of blooms.

Normally, my photos are sharper, but the D2H has enabled me to change my shooting style a bit, adding a much needed softness to some of my imagery. Once again, thank you for the feedback.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I have to agree with you, Beez, and the others on the 'soft' look of these shots. Too many times I find myself (and observe others as well) trying to get the PP shots sharp past the point of looking real. These are very well done.

As I said in my PM response, you can see the nice DOF that you get with the 60mm micro in these as well in the smooth transition from sharply focused foreground to a nice, soft background.

Well envisioned. :smile:

9. Good use of your 60mm micro lens Crystal. The images are all well done.

10. Hi Frank and Gordon,

I have to agree with you about the 60mm. I did not produce imagery such as this with the D70+60mm. My other images were always so sharp and sometimes noisy (not due to USM) but due to my technique. I really like this soft appearance because it is still finely detailed. I think it works well for flowers. Wow...this is a voyage of discovery for me today! :biggrin:

I decided to process a few more Shrimp Plant images. Here is another view processed in Adobe Photo Shop CS:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005