D2H and ERR message, and meter replacement.

I was on DP Review today reading about the Matrix meter replacement and a "ERR" problem with the D2H.

Here is the link: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=22818372

Anything to this or has anyone run into this? Reason I am asking is after doing some research on this camera after Ditto got his, looks like a very good camera to have and replace my D200 with one. But, with a possible problem lurking in the background, I am just wondering if anyone has come onto this with their D2H?

It may be like any other problem with a camera, those that post are the only ones that have the problem, while 1000's of other go on and on.

Another question in regards to the meter replacement, is it pretty known that Nikon will replace the meter on the D2H if a person buys one used and then has to have it replaced? Without charging you for it?

OR, someone just kick me and tell me to stick with my D200.

Anyway, your input appreciated, George.

Last edited by a moderator:
George,

It is a fairly common problem for the D2H, but one that Nikon acknowledges and will repair free of charge without concern for warranty coverage. You do not need to be the original owner.

I had the meter on one of my D2H bodies cr#p out on me at the start of my daughter's dance recital. It always seems to happen at inopportune times. :frown:

Look on the bright side, if it does happen to you your camera gets a free cleaning and tweaking. :smile:

I was on DP Review today reading about the Matrix meter replacement and a "ERR" problem with the D2H.

Here is the link: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=22818372

Anything to this or has anyone run into this? Reason I am asking is after doing some research on this camera after Ditto got his, looks like a very good camera to have and replace my D200 with one. But, with a possible problem lurking in the background, I am just wondering if anyone has come onto this with their D2H?

It may be like any other problem with a camera, those that post are the only ones that have the problem, while 1000's of other go on and on.

Another question in regards to the meter replacement, is it pretty known that Nikon will replace the meter on the D2H if a person buys one used and then has to have it replaced? Without charging you for it?

OR, someone just kick me and tell me to stick with my D200.

Anyway, your input appreciated, George.

My D2h had less than 17k actuations when it started displaying the Err message on startup. I sent it to Nikon expecting to have the meter replaced at no charge, instead they said that shutter was bad. When I got it back the invoice indicated that they had replaced the METER and SHUTTER and it cost me almost $400.00.

My D2h had less than 17k actuations when it started displaying the Err message on startup. I sent it to Nikon expecting to have the meter replaced at no charge, instead they said that shutter was bad. When I got it back the invoice indicated that they had replaced the METER and SHUTTER and it cost me almost $400.00.

Thats not what I wanted to hear, but actually it is what I wanted to hear, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the reply.

George.

George,

It is a fairly common problem for the D2H, but one that Nikon acknowledges and will repair free of charge without concern for warranty coverage. You do not need to be the original owner.

I had the meter on one of my D2H bodies cr#p out on me at the start of my daughter's dance recital. It always seems to happen at inopportune times. :frown:

Look on the bright side, if it does happen to you your camera gets a free cleaning and tweaking. :smile:

Thank you for the information Tosh.

George.

Don't they normally contact you if something like that happens so you can accept or decline the repair?

Tosh, where do you send the D2h for free meter/shutter repair??

""It is a fairly common problem for the D2H, but one that Nikon acknowledges and will repair free of charge without concern for warranty coverage. You do not need to be the original owner""
thanks
dit

Don't they normally contact you if something like that happens so you can accept or decline the repair?

Yes, and I OK'd the repair because love the camera but... I think that Nikon should include the "Err" shutter problem in their advisory. There's no reason a 150 K shutter should fail within 17K clicks. I'll not hold my breath, but if they should release a service advisory on the shutter I'll be asking for a refund.

I bought my D2H as a factory refurb from Cameta. Within 2 months or < 2000 shutter clicks, my meter went out. I didn't see the "Err" message. What would happen is the meter simply failed to meter properly.

You'll know when it happens because you will either dramatically overexpose or dramatically underexpose depending on what environment you are in. :)

It happened to me once when I lent it to someone to shoot. Then it happened again when I was doing test shots against my D70.

Nikon repaired it for free. I wouldn't let the fear of this potential issue hold you back from the camera (admittedly this fear worried me at first, but I figured a fresh factory refurb from Nikon would have already been prefixed). In hindsight, it's not a big deal.

Yes, and I OK'd the repair because love the camera but... I think that Nikon should include the "Err" shutter problem in their advisory. There's no reason a 150 K shutter should fail within 17K clicks. I'll not hold my breath, but if they should release a service advisory on the shutter I'll be asking for a refund.

It's doubtful since they never truly warranty the shutter (no one seems to do so). It's only an approximate life span to give you a rough idea. Sorry that you ran into that issue so early on though.

Issues like that definitely hurt Nikon's reputation especially in the sports arena where you had a comparable alternative which did not seem quite as plagued with odd issues.

I have both and find that I prefer the D2H. I use the D200 when I am going to crop or want the resolution, otherwise the focus and speed of the D2H, as well as the physical build are definitely a cut above the D200. The majority of my photos are done with the D2H. If I can only carry one camera on a trip, it's always the D2H. I've never had a bit of trouble with the D2H.

Chet

I have both and find that I prefer the D2H. I use the D200 when I am going to crop or want the resolution, otherwise the focus and speed of the D2H, as well as the physical build are definitely a cut above the D200. The majority of my photos are done with the D2H. If I can only carry one camera on a trip, it's always the D2H. I've never had a bit of trouble with the D2H.

Chet

Thanks Chet,

George.

My D2H is currently with Nikon UK having suffered the Err problem.

Sometimes I got first shot of the day blank but no Err message then OK on the second shot. Sometimes I got first shot blank with Err message then second shutter press reset the camera with no shot taken then third press takes a shot OK with normal operation thereafter.

The camera had taken only just over 3000 shots.

Nikon UK acknowledged receipt of the camera yesterday, 8 days after they received it. Tracking shows that an estimate was created on the 10th but it has not got here yet. There seems to be no way to access the estimate online unless someone knows better. Not hugely impressed. It looks as though they are going to ask me to pay for this.

I didn't expect them to but plainly the NPU stickers don't help at all. :frown:

Sometimes I got first shot of the day blank but no Err message then OK on the second shot. Sometimes I got first shot blank with Err message then second shutter press reset the camera with no shot taken then third press takes a shot OK with normal operation thereafter.

Nikon UK acknowledged receipt of the camera yesterday, 8 days after they received it. Tracking shows that an estimate was created on the 10th but it has not got here yet. There seems to be no way to access the estimate online unless someone knows better. Not hugely impressed. It looks as though they are going to ask me to pay for this.

There might still be hope. They didn't give me my ESTIMATE until AFTER I received the FIXED D2H!

I checked online and saw the status way before their "written" snail mail regarding the "$0.00" cost to repair.

For the USA site it was
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=inc_service

That kinda really does stink. Judging by what I have been reading, sounds like a shutter. But, I guess you got to do what you got to do, and that is to have them fix it.

Good Luck,

George.

Well, as it happens the estimate arrived this afternoon.

They are going to replace the shutter. No mention of the meter.
They want £231 for the repair or more if they find anything else while working on it.

Not very good for a camera only 3000 clicks old. I think I will have a talk with them before accepting this. From what I understand from other threads there are few people who have had the Err fault progress to a total shutter failure. Rather than shell out a quarter of the value of the camera I think I could live with this.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, as it happens the estimate arrived this afternoon.

They are going to replace the shutter. No mention of the meter.
They want £231 for the repair or more if they find anything else while working on it.

Not very good for a camera only 3000 clicks old. I think I will have a talk with them before accepting this. From what I understand from other threads there are few people who have had the Err fault progress to a total shutter failure. Rather than shell out a quarter of the value of the camera I think I could live with this.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Brian, I thought that I could live with the Errrrr! problem too. But, I was shooting a lot of water polo at the time and I would fequently miss a good shot and sometimes the shutter would lock up and not allow me to take ANY pictures for a period of time.:frown: This progressively got worse and worse so I decided to bite the bullet and pay for it. What I got for my money was a new shutter, new rubber all round, new meter and a cleaning and calibration. It really is like a brand new camera, even smells new.

I wonder if a lot people who are having this problem could go together and sign a letter to Nikon, if they would listen????

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, I thought that I could live with the Errrrr! problem too. But, I was shooting a lot of water polo at the time and I would fequently miss a good shot and sometimes the shutter would lock up and not allow me to take ANY pictures for a period of time.:frown: This progressively got worse and worse so I decided to bite the bullet and pay for it. What I got for my money was a new shutter, new rubber all round, new meter and a cleaning and calibration. It really is like a brand new camera, even smells new.

I wonder if a lot people who are having this problem could go together and sign a letter to Nikon, if they would listen????

Well Mike there is a guy over on DPReview forum who is collating pepople's experiences and in just a few days he has gathered information on 26 D2H/s that have had this failure, some with very few actuations like mine. I shall attempt to quote this to Nikon when I call them. I'm not hopeful though. I'm just not agressive enough :Sad:

Latest threads

Top Bottom