D2H and the Natural Bridge

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by CrystallP, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Hi All,

I couldn't decide if this was landscape or greenery, so I chose landscape-greenery :biggrin: , especially the tree roots. :smile: Last weekend was my first serious expedition with the D2H. Here are a few images from our trip to the Natural Bridge in Virginia just before Hurricane Katrina. The skies were white and rain began to pour just after we reached the bridge.

This tree trunk stands majestically along the path to the Natural Bridge. It is a long walk down to the Natural Bridge. Unfortunately, we didn't know about the shuttle. No matter, it hadn't started raining yet...but it was very slippery! :eek:

[​IMG]

Closer view of the root system. The tree has been dead for many years.

[​IMG]

Approaching the natural bridge. Unfortunately, I didn't have a polarizer or neutral density filter.

[​IMG]

I love this image. The walls of the Natural Bridge contain carved initials which are hundreds of years old in some cases. The most notable signature would be that of our first president. His initials or signature were inscribed inside of the rectangle found in the middle of the wall. Thus, I have entitled this image, "George Washington was here". :biggrin:

[​IMG]

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Crystall:

What an interesting place! Very lovely images and the one of the bridge is just beautiful. What an intersting piece of history you show with the initials carved in the middle of the wall. Looks like you had a great outing with your D2H. :biggrin:

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Crystall, You go to some of the neatest places! Keep posting 'cause I love checking out your pictures!

4. Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the feedback. It was my first outing with the D2H. Unfortunately Katrina was only hours away and the skies were white. A few minutes after our trek to the Natural Bridge it began to rain. Fortunately, my camera was not damaged.

5. Hi Leigh,

Yes, my husband has decided to take us on an adventure every other weekend when he is off from work. This past weekend we traveled to Strasburg, PA to visit the Strasburg railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. I think our next adventure is to spend a day sight seeing in Washington D.C. It's less than 50 minutes from Baltimore County. Nothing like being a tourist in your home town. Two weeks ago we discovered the Baltimore Botanic Gardens and Conservatory! :biggrin:

6. Hey Crystall where are you?

7. OOOOOoooooo - I really like the 3rd one of the Natural Bridge. Very nice.

8. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Nice series Crystall. We look forward to going along with you on your "adventures". Sounds like some fun times are ahead. Glad you kept the camera safe.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Your images with that H are very nice, Crystall. I hope that the H is everything and more of what you hoped that it would be. Keep shooting and keep posting.

10. I have missed your posts here lately so nice to see these. They are really well saturated both literally and color wise. Pretty area and you have captured it well.

11. Hi Brett, Mark, Patrick, Frank, and Gordon,

I must apologize for missing these responses. As you know the last few months have been hectic! I am so glad that I saw your comments because I had completely lost faith in the output from my D2H. I seriously been considering selling it and getting a D200. I think I will try Patrick's 300mm this week and see what kind of imagery I can produce. Looks like the next road trip will be the Philadelphia Flower Show. Stay tuned and thanks for checking on me.