D2H Focus question....

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Doug Barber, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Greetings All:
    I've been asked to photograph spray Planes (Crop dusters) as they make sray runs in a field.
    I'm thinking they will be coming right at me at about 120 MPH @ 4 ft. off the ground. The plan is to load the planes with water instread of chemical and for me to shoot until they raise up to get over me.
    What would the best focus setting for this type of shooting?
    I'm assuming I would use continuous but would Dynamic AF closest subject be the way to go?
    I plan on using a 17 - 35 lens and shoot @ 8-FPM.
    I'm leaving to do this later today so some (quick) ideas would be good.
    finally yes I know this is not something that most photo people would get involved in and the pilots have promised to miss me by (at least) 2 ft.

Hope someone can help!

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I would bring a longer lens too, something tells me a couple of runs at you using the 70-200 will give you more framing flexibility

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wear a slicker.

5. I like Paul have found that closet to subject focusing mode works well on tracking moving objects particularly those coming right at you, the next best solution would be group focusing with the center area selected. I used both of the methods while on vacation and had good results might want to bring the 70-200 along to for a longer focal length

6. I'm leaving to do this later today so some (quick) ideas would be good

how did it go? Pictures please.
    Dave

7. marc

marc Guest

if the planes are coming at you

please use af-c, with focus lock, i would allow camera to do it's thing, lock on subject and let af-c do the tracking just keep shooting,

af-c is there for subjects that are moving toward you, i have used the d2h,d2x many times with subjects moving toward me and af-c locked on subject and get great results

i do not think you will have time to zoom and shoot with planes.

you should concentrate on getting good photos and keeping plane in focal place.

the shots should get bigger and bigger as plane moves toward you, the results should be terrific

sounds like fun, have a good time.

remember to set shutter speed at least 1/1000 and pay attention to aperture and other camera settings, dof etc.