D2H for portraiture

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by hoanginc, Apr 4, 2007.

1. I asked this in People/Portraiture section. Is D2H a good camera for portraiture? How's the image quality?

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Well i mostly use my D2H for sports , but I had it at the last protest that I went to and took these shots of French politicians ... I don't recall having done a special post processing on them, and this is with a kit 18-70 ...

378745988_b896724745_b.

I'm sure many more will show you their photos :wink:

3. Thank you for the photos. Very crisp and clean. I'm thinking of getting a D2H because I need the body feel. Hope someone can post more portraits taken with this camera.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I am not much of a portrait shooter, but the D2H can perform well. If there is a downside to using this camera, it has only a 4.1 mp which makes it difficult to enlarge an image much bigger than 13x19. Here are a couple of shots that I took....

View attachment 88510

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    the D2H makes a great portrait camera in my opinion. the lack of resolution isn't a drawback as you're pretty close to your subject, and you don't really have the need to show every pore and blemish :wink: drawbacks are the large size of the camera and the shutter noise.

ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Excellent D2H portrait examples have been posted so far. Gordon (Greyflash) uses the D2H for all his wonderful portraits and I do not see anything lacking in the ability of the D2H to capture high quality portraits. You should be absolutely fine as long as the other aspects of portraiture, such as lighting and posing, are met.

7. D2H, a GREAT camera, but I don't understand your comment above regarding your "need" for the body feel? If the purpose is for shooting portraits, what do you think the D2H is going to do for you specifically that the newer bodies, even your D70, won't do? I shot a D2H for a couple of years, D1H before that, D200's now, and Gordon notes the only "downside" to the D2H for portraits, although that can be somewhat mitigated as well, I have some quite nice 20x30's done from my D2H.

I'm just not sure I understand your reason given.

8. Great pictures fks! Thanks to all who replied. I don't care much about resolution since I've never printed anything. My decision's made. Bye bye to D70 and 80-200 :smile:

9. Sorry I didn't explain myself clearer. I need the D2H because the D70's too small for my hands. Although it has wireless flash capability and such, I value the feel of the camera body more. As long as there's no downside to image quality of the D2H (comfirmed by these wonderful shots posted by Cafe members above), I'm selling my gear to get one.

10. OK, that makes more sense. Did you rule out the D200 due to cost versus the D2H? Between the 2, I find that the D200 does not focus quite as well in low-light/low-contrast situations and where the subject does not completely fill your focus point. But even without the battery grip, it is far more substantial than the D70, I have one of those as well, and with the grip, pretty much the same feel.

But as you see here, no issues with D2H quality, one other thing that I think it does a bit better is Auto-WB, if that matters at all.

11. I shot a few last week-end. Take a look at them below. You wil see that the D2H is a fine portrait machine.

NB_D2H4151_Frame.

NB_D2H4187_Frame.

NB_D2H4239_Frame.

If you need/want to take portraits with a D2H, go ahead. You will be very pleased.