D2H metering issues

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Louis Champan, Dec 7, 2005.

1. I've had my D2H give me totally white exposures on two occassions, then all of a sudden, with the same settings, it goes back to a normal exposure. I guess this is the metering issues that is a problem with this camera.

Does anyone know if Nikon will effect a repair when the problem is intermittent?

Thanks

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The problem could be with the lens, not the camera. Check the aperture control lever of the lens to see if it is bent out of position, if so, straighten it carefully using a small pair of pliers.

If the overexposure occurs with several lenses, also check the stopping-down lever inside the camera throat. It can be misaligned, too (typically because a lens is sloppily mounted and pressing it out of alignment).

3. Louie, one additional thing to check, along the same lines as Bjorn, is to be sure the lens is fully seated. If this is only happening on occasion with one lens, you might clean the contacts on the lens as well. When the meter on my D2H died last year, I didn't have any intermittent problems, just one day it quite metering.

Try keeping track of when, and how often, this happens paying special attention to what lens is mounted at the time as well.

4. Thanks Bill and Bjorn. I'm going to do some more investigation as suggested before sending it in. I wonder if I were to send it in to Nikon would they go ahead and upgrade the meter or just send it back to me?

Thanks again.

5. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Meter problem

Sorry to give you this news, but judging from experience, your meter needs to be replaced. :eek: This occured with my D2H and was intermittent at first. Nikon Canada replaced the metering system (under warranty) and this is also covered under the recall. I pick up my camera tomorrow and am sure it will be perfect once again.
    Good luck with this,
    Regards,
    Robert

6. Bjorn's response

I am interested in what Bjorn posted regarding this as this occurs intermittently with my D2X, and so far has been only in extreme cold temps. I am going to watch this closely.
    Dave

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Dave: I've shot extensively with D2X at ambient temperatures down to -20 C without any issue whatsoever.

One of my D70 cameras however didn't like -10 C and exhibited intermittent problems with hanging mirror and blank frames. I'm not certain that the camera was fully cooled down when I commenced shooting, so shall try this once more before I give it up and let Nikon fix it for me

(acclimatising the gear is very important when the weather is cold. thus any long ED lens won't focus properly or even refuse to form a sharp image when you take it directly from wam indoors to -20 C outdoors, a temperature drop of 40C or more. The lens must be cooled down for 15 minutes or more before it comes around and gives sharp images again).

8. Bjorn,
    Appreciate your response. I try to acclimate my gear to the ambient temp, but will be more cognisant of that. The first time it occcurred was at 24 deg F and with the 70-200vr and tc 1.4. I tried several images where the meter showed correct exposure but the image was extemely over exposed. This was in manual metering mode. A switch to program mode seemed to put the camera back in order or perhaps it had acclimated by the time I had done this.
    Last weekend while shooting eagles it had been carried in the back of a truck bed so that it could acclimate during travel. First shots at 18 deg F with the 200-400vr and tc 1.4 gave the same blown results, I switched over to aperture mode and the results cam back in line. This trip could have also had the variable of sloppy technique on my part as I was rather excited to see eagles as soon as i got out of the car. I will continue to observe and pay attention to as many details as I can if it occurs again.
    Dave

9. as a note, I normally use spot metering.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Simple criterion is when you're freezing your butt off and the lens is no warmer to touch than the snow or ice surrounding you :biggrin: Then you can start shooting with it.

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Just take your time. Let the gear stay outside when you go in. When you go out for the first time, just put a towel or similar on the snow and dump the gear there. Go for a walk. Then start shooting.

The cameras take no harm from this at all, but the user might be worse off :wink: What should be avoided is transporting cold equipment inside, then you'll get condensation and associated issues. You might get by putting the equipment inside a plastic bag and suck out the air, then close the bag. Still, nothing beats just leaving everything outside as often as possible.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005