D2H or D1X

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elf_8, May 23, 2005.

1. If you were to choose between two used gears, which one would you favor between th D1X (buffer and firmware upgraded) and the D2H ?
    :?:

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Since I have a six megapix D100, I'd pick a D2h ... better battery life with faster focussing and shooting.

3. svenmichiels

svenmichiels

May 21, 2005
    Belgium
    idd :wink:

One day shoot = 4 batteries for your D1X

D2H has the same battery-life as the D2X, and with the last one you can take of 6000 photographs!!! (I read it somewhere in a review)

Sven

4. And what about the pixel count ?

5. With the Photoshop CS bicubic smoother, and some USM...The D2H can be made to look very close to 6mp. I uprez all my D2H images to 6mp pixel size and you only loose slight detail, but the results are very close. The reason I do this is for editors who prefer bigger file sizes, strange but true.

2 benefits of the D1X, 10mp raw mode and 1/500th flash sync. Those two reasons alone make the D1X very special. So ask yourself, do I need the D2H 8fps, superior battery life and the benefits of iTTL flash or do I need the D1X 10mp mode, the slight extra MPs and 1/500th flash sync?

It's a toss up. If money is a concern, the D70 is the 'baby' D1X with some of the D2H technology thrown in...with the crappy N80 chassis!

6. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
  7. The D2H is more like a pseudo 6mp camera. On absolute little details, a true 6mp camera still resolves better in my opinion.

8. Okay, thank you all. Your posts clear up things for me.

9. Christian,
    Early last year I chose the D1x over the D2H. Never regretted it. The image quality of the D1x is just gorgeous. Natural colors and just about noiseless at ISO 125. The battery is not as good as todays DSLR's. No biggie, bring a spare and live with it.
    The D2H is a speed demon, but for the picture quality, I'd still take the D1x anytime.
    As always, just my personal opinion.

Salutations,

10. Oh, Frits. That really matters for me. Thank you.

11. The simplistic answer is that the D1X is biased toward studio use and the D2H is biased toward field/action use. So it sort of depends on what you're looking for. Hmmmmmmm, the D1X for methodical/portrait pics and the D2H for machine gun action. :lol:

FWIW: I'm "new" to the D2H and am blown away by the handling performance of the camera. 8 FPS is almost frightening! :shock: I'm sure the D1X is a GREAT body but I was more interested in high speed operation.................. and I also felt that my D70 takes great pics when shutter speed or focus lock isn't a driver.

My guess is that the D200 will one-up the D1X "pic quality" but it won't come close to "one-upping" the D2H speed. :lol:

Regards and good luck with your purchase
    JohnG

12. I thought it was the D100 (and Kodak and Fuji) that had the "crappy" N80 chassis. I believe the D70/D50 have a totally new chassis built in a totally new factory.

13. Still cam900 focusing. And still made out of plastic. Though I must admit, my old D100 (before it got stolen) was a tough camera!

14. I'd go with the D2H since it's newer and still en vogue...

About battery life: I went to shoot a wedding with a battery charged at 50% and I finished the wedding with 9% left, some 400 shots later. The battery performance is a relief!

15. kengo

kengo Guest

Studio - D1X
    Everywhere else - D2H

I sold my D1X for my D2H, because of sudden influx of events and weddings, which needed a camera with better battery life and flash metering, but when things started to settle down and studio work was increasing, I decided on a D70 over a used D1X (which cost almost twice a new D70 then).