D2H repair question (long post)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by marsh, Aug 25, 2005.

1. marsh

marsh

Aug 11, 2005
    Tennessee, USA
    Sorry about the length--I got a bit wordy here.

I sent in my D2H last month for a problem that I don't think was related to the meter at all. It began giving the "fEE" aperture error on any lens with an aperture ring, which hit my number 1 lens-the Beast. With a G series lens, it gave the "Err" code. The problem started intermittently with the 28-70 as the "Err" code. Initially, I thought I was bumping the lens release button enough to cause a problem (HUGE difference when stepping up from a D100). But times when I hit the button, the viewfinder would get dark, without any error message, and it was pretty easy to fix. The various fixes for the "Err" at first included the DOF preview button, powering off and on the camera, and even turning the camera off and remounting the lens. However, when the "fEE" error hit, I had an expensive, and heavy, paperweight.

The S/N on the D2H is 2038XXX, purchased new from B&H in early March 2005.

The repair order came back Rank B2-Repair SC202183, RPL ENCODER, RPL SPONGE, ADJ TTL FLASH, GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN, and CLEAN CCD.

The camera has worked since it came back, but it occasionally gives an "Err" code with the 28-70 that has cleared with the DOF preview. It's kind of like the aperture is sticking or something.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this kind of problem? It seems like it may be recurring less than one month (approx 800 pictures) after I got it back from Nikon Service.

2. Marshall,

I haven't heard about that problem. But if you are having any recurrence of the problem at all, I would definitely send it back to Nikon within to gauruntee period of the warranty service. You don't want to wait until later when it happens every time, or risk the warranty having expired by the time it completely fails, or even Nikon possibly claiming it was physically damaged (not warranty applicable). I'd send it back with a letter describing exactly which lens and when/how it happens.

3. marsh

marsh

Aug 11, 2005
    Tennessee, USA
    D2H repair

Thanks for the reply Christian. I think you're right on sending it back because it's probably going to get worse. I'm going to hate doing it--my (wife's) D70 works well, but the AF and viewfinder just aren't the same. I've got plenty of Nikon warranty left 6+ months, and I bought a Mack warranty with the camera due to meter horror stories. I've also read that Melville now has a 2-3 week backlog--mine took 10 days total the first time. Since it came back about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I've gotten the "Err" maybe 5 or 6 times that I remember.

My concern (and reason for posting) is that I may be missing the root of the problem. I took the camera to a local shop and tried several other lenses on it that definitely worked on other cameras (18-70G and 17-35AFS) and all of my lenses work on my N80 and D70.

4. Yeah, but you don't wanna use the Mack warranty unless you have to. I recently sent my D2H back to Nikon for the famous light meter issue. It was at least one full month out of warranty. I do have the Mack 5 year warranty (4 years left), but when I called Mack they told me it would take up to two months to get it repaired and returned! Nikon received my camera on 18 August and its now on it's way back to me, with "complimentary service". The thing is, I'm not sure if the gauruntee of service is for 30 or 90 days, but if they get it back within that period they have to fix it no questions asked. If you send it later there is always the possibility they might claim it was from external damage. Hold them to the warranted service that was already performed. Since it's a return on a failed repair, they might get it back to you sooner as a priority. I'm sure they would if you sent a nice letter about that.

BTW, I've kept in good communication with Nikon ever since they received my D2H. As a result they even called me to let me know when it was completed and getting sent back. I know some people don't have this kind of luck with an expired warranty, but good communication probably has something to do with how they've treated me in my case.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Marshall,

First, welcome to the Cafe. Second, your post isn't wordy at all. You should see some of the novelettes we get from time to time. :smile:

I have a D2H that is a little over a year old (new May '04), and I also get the fEE error from time to time. Mine has over 50K shots on it, and has had the metering fix. When I get the error, I just power off and back on and it clears. I get it about once every few weeks, or about every 1,000 to 2,000 shots.

I have always just assumed that it was due to momentary loss of good contact between the lens and cam that causes the internal processor to get confused. Now you have me worried. :rolleyes:

6. There shouldnt be any loss of contact with a properly secured lens. In fact I don't see how the actual contacts could become loose at all. It really sounds like a potential wiring short or other electronic issue to me.

7. xaviermacau

xaviermacau

May 9, 2005
    Macau
    When I collected my D100 from Nikon Service repair in Hong Kong, I was told that service warranty was 90 days.