D2H sharpening in camera setting and Capture SettingQuestion

I set the in camera sharpening to HIGH so I can see the picture more clearly in the LCD... and when I go to Capture I change the sharpening to NONE and then I set Ron Reznick's setting of 66-5-4 (or adjust to my liking).

My question is: Do I need to reset the sharpening in Capture to NONE before I set the sharpening in Capture?

Or can I just leave it 'as is' with the 'in camera' setting and set the Capture sharpening setting?

Any comments? Actually I guess if I like the picture as it is I guess I can do it anyway I like. :lol:

Thanks again,
Gaye

Do I need to reset the sharpening in Capture to NONE before I set the sharpening in Capture?

Yes :) You can also try setting it to "Normal" or "Low" in Capture, as it acts differently then the settings in USM panel

Thanks, Iliah,
I'll set to Low or Normal ..I didn't know that they act differently from USM settings.

Appreciate your help,

Gaye

That sure makes sense... This is something I'd never thought of before so it's all very enlightening :)

Thanks again,
Gaye

Iliah said:
They act differently because they are applied at different stages of processing :)

My understanding is that it doesn't matter what you select (sharpening-wise) when you shoot RAW. When you set sharpening to none in NC the setting you used in the camera isn't applied to the raw image so using USM to create a tiff, for example will be applied to the unchanged raw image out of the camera.

Am I wrong?

Rich

Rich Gibson said:
Iliah said:
They act differently because they are applied at different stages of processing :)

My understanding is that it doesn't matter what you select (sharpening-wise) when you shoot RAW. When you set sharpening to none in NC the setting you used in the camera isn't applied to the raw image so using USM to create a tiff, for example will be applied to the unchanged raw image out of the camera.

Am I wrong?

Rich

You just have to remember to set it back to "None" in Capture of course. That is, to me, the only downside, and it isn't really a very big one.

So, actually, what I'm doing is Okay and my RAW images, after I set sharpening back to NONE in Capture, will work--then I can apply the USM setting that I want to RAW image in Capture.

That should work fine from what I'm reading here.

Thanks and let me know if I"m 'off base' on this..

I'm learning as I go :)

Gaye

GeeJay said:
So, actually, what I'm doing is Okay and my RAW images, after I set sharpening back to NONE in Capture, will work--then I can apply the USM setting that I want to RAW image in Capture.

Gaye

Gaye, I know Ron likes to use USM in NC. I personally don't.

I usually leave the setting in camera to Normal, leave it the same in NC and when I am finished in NC, convert the image to TIFF and reopen it in Photoshot where after cleaning and resizing, I will apply the sharpening at the very end of my post processing steps

Again, this is just my way of doing things.

Boobie Joe said:
GeeJay said:

Gaye

I usually leave the setting in camera to Normal, leave it the same in NC and when I am finished in NC, convert the image to TIFF and reopen it in Photoshot where after cleaning and resizing, I will apply the sharpening at the very end of my post processing steps

Yves, Greyflash

So if you leave the RAW setting on normal when you create the TIFF is "some" sharpening applied (as opposed to none at all if you selected None in the RAW selection).

Still confused...condition normal.

Thanks, Rich

Rich Gibson said:
Boobie Joe said:
GeeJay said:

Gaye

Yves, Greyflash

So if you leave the RAW setting on normal when you create the TIFF is "some" sharpening applied (as opposed to none at all if you selected None in the RAW selection).

Still confused...condition normal.

Thanks, Rich

IMO, especially for printing, the normal setting in camera is not damaging the image at all.

I also apply very little sharpening once in PS. In fact, the bigger I print, the smaller I use and I don't like using USM either in photoshop, I use a Fred Miranda Nikon CS Pro sharpener set to very low or low

Setting of sharpening to "none", "low", "normal", "high" does not control sharpening - it controls demosaicing

Iliah said:
Setting of sharpening to "none", "low", "normal", "high" does not control sharpening - it controls demosaicing

Iliah,
You're going to hate me. Every time you answer a question I seem to come up with one more. Sorry for being such a pest. This is new to me.

What then are the implications of this demosaicing? Say, between none, low, normal and high? How does this affect the image going to Photoshop, for instance. What do you recommend? Why that?

Thanks in advance, Rich

Iliah,

Now I'm really confused. I just went into Capture and played with the sharpening setting. The picture did get sharper as I increased the settings from 'None' to 'Normal'.

Are you saying that the in-camera setting don't change the sharpening, or the Capture settings also?

Thanks,

Frank

When you set sharpening setting to something in Nikon Capture, it results in different modifications in demosaicing. While USM acts on already demosaiced image.

Simply, let's imagine we have a parameter controlling sharpness of demosaicing. Setting "none", "low", etc. are actually different values of that parameter. Some folks prefer milder demosaicing, and more USM. I used to work with "Low" or "Normal" settings with a bit of USM on top.

As President for Life of the country known as Confused, I'd just like to say I thought the camera sharpening setting also controlled sharpening. Especially given there have been occasions when having it set too high has seemed to result in halos.

So, I think like Rich and Frank, I await Iliah's answer with my tongue firmly implanted on a hook. Or as others might say it, "with baited breath."

Neil

If we are speaking of NEFs, sharpening in camera is just a tag controlling the default processing in Nikon Capture, View, or plug-in (the Nikon one). So, nothing is applied in camera.

Sharpening settings controlling demosaicing can also result in digital artifacts, same as USM.

Iliah said:
If we are speaking of NEFs, sharpening in camera is just a tag controlling the default processing in Nikon Capture, View, or plug-in (the Nikon one). So, nothing is applied in camera.

Sharpening settings controlling demosaicing can also result in digital artifacts, same as USM.

We're getting somewhere now. You introduced the expression "sharpening settings controlling demosaicing." I'm going to take a guess that along with me Neil doesn't understand what that means. I think the basic problem is communications wherein you give us too much credit for knowing nearly as much as you do.

Let me ask the question this way. What do you think Nikon had in mind by putting a "sharpening" setting in N.C. if it is actually a demosiacing control? What effect is this supposed to give, if not sharpening?

Thanks again, Rich

Thanks Rich, you're right in guessing my confusion.

I should also add, and this further proves my claim as the rightful ruler of Confusion, I hadn't seen Iliah's post just above mine - didn't realize there was a page 2. :D

Neil

Latest threads

Top Bottom