D2h vs D2hs

Okay, I have pretty much decided that the D2h can work for me since I generally do not resize for printing beyond 11x17". Possibly 13x19 with my Epson 2200 printer. Even with some judicious cropping I can still get a pretty good even excellent print in a 11x17 print from a D2h.

I always shoot RAW. My question for those D2h users in the forum...
Do you think the improvements of the D2hs will make a better print at the sizes I mentioned? I think the speed and buffer of the D2h is more than suffienct for me compared to the d2hs. I have heard that the main difference is in JPEG shooting. Is this true or do the changes also effect raw images? Is there a difference in the amount of images per battery charge or in iTTL flash system?

Sorry to compound so many questions.

forgetting the price difference, just comparing camera to camera, is there likely to be a difference in raw files produced between these two cameras? I am not clear on what the difference is in color matrix II in the D2hs and the color matrix used on the D2h.

It seems that the main difference is in the buffer size and jpeg image processing. Am I right or is there more that I am not seeing?

I have done very little research on the new D2Hs, so my post will probably be pretty worthless :D

With that said...

The D2Hs has much better high ISO performance. I saw a test yesterday and the D2Hs ISO 1600 performance is equal to the D2H ISO 800 performance. I guess this would be a big plus if you needed that extra boost for low light. I hardly go over ISO 400-800, so it's not as much of a concern to me.

The other improvement that i read was better color accuracy.

I'll try to dig up the link from last night so you can see for yourself. There are very few D2Hs on the market, so the jury is still out on the rest of the "upgrades".

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to research this. I went further into the site and found this page among others.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD2Hspg_2.shtml

It basically says that the D2hs will focus faster and more accurate than "other cameras" It does not say if it is faster than the D2h just other cameras. If it is as fast as they make it sound, this feature alone might make the D2hs a good buy if you can live with the small files. On the plus side my 2gig CF card will hold a bunch of captures which at 8 fps may not be saying much.

I am very tempted to pick one up.

Scott,

If I didn't already have a D2H, I'd be very tempted. The improvements in my very amateur results however, probably aren't worth the extra $2K - $2.5K that I'd have to spend to upgrade. :?

Why don't you get one and show us all how great it is.... :wink:

Frank

The only problem with the d2hs is its price... $3500 at BH Photo.
A low mileage d2h can be had for less than half that price.

I have decided to get a D2h or D2hs. There seems to be scant information from real world testers. If I get the D2h today and the D2hs turns out to be an outstanding camera with much faster focus and better out of the camera images, better LCD review etc. than the D2h, I will wish I had waited. I can afford the D2hs but don't want to waste money. If I wait until the D2hs has been tested and reported on by users over the net, there will be little chance of picking up a new D2h at todays price.

Is this what they call being on the horns of a dilema?

Scott,

We're all on those same horns. :? I think that you are making the right decision. At the price that the D2H is selling for now, you almost can't go wrong. And, if you decide to upgrade later, you will be able to get at least 65% - 70% of the purchase price back.

Good luck and good shopping. ;-)

Frank

Scott, get a D2H and spend $80 on neat image for noise reduction. No need to spend $1500 for NR built in the D2Hs. :D

Joe

Okay, I just pushed the buy now button at B&H. I am a soon to be D2h photo guy.

For the less than the price of a D2hs I was able to get the camera, a really right stuff L bracket, a 4 gig Lexar 80x CF card, a DCB cable for my apple powerbook, a TC17, two extra batteries, an extra battery for my Epson P2000 (which I will get, when I can get one), a replacement 77mm lens cap, a Tiffen filter kit with 3 filters for my D70 kit lens and 2nd day shipping. and I stilll have enough to purchase a copy of Noise Ninja.

Worst case scenario, the D2hs is released and loved by all and becomes a must have, (doubt it) and I sell the D2h for about what I paid as demand exceeds supply of D2h's at under $2000.

It's Christmas again, what fun!

Congratulations Scott. This is one sweet setup you purchased. I think D2H was a smart and economical move. Can't wait to see photographs.

Latest threads

Top Bottom