1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D2Hs…to sell or no to sell…..

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Sandro Bravo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I used it, loved it…it was my dream camera once and it rulled the high-iso championship for a while…..i still like the handling, feel, speed but after using the D300 and mostly the D700, I can’t get away from the fact that the sensor is pretty much outdated in comparison, regardless of being still able to pull some great images, it is so different from a D700….. AWB and mostly dynamic range are what bother me most in comparison…..i just got too used to the D700.

I’m not a camera collector, but I do feel attached to it and keep talking myself off selling it……I even force myself to use it from time to time…but, I’m definitely an 100% dedicated FX user and in all these years using DSLR’s, I find that the D700 is THE camera that suits me best….not a D3, which as the same type of body as the D2Hs……the smaller body makes it a much more suitable tool for 90% of the situations it will be used.

I’ve put an add for sale in Portugal, but I’m still on a fence on this one…..

Not too shabby for ISO 1600 on a 4 year old camera.....(click for full-size)...:smile:
    original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. nealgrof

nealgrof

Jul 31, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I've got a D2H sitting here. Without fanfare, I added a D700 to my arsenal back in June. I haven't been able to decide what to do with the D2H...

I haven't done a scientific side-by-side, but I've felt for a while that my D2H handles flesh tones better than the D300. I really like the look of a few snaps on my fridge; just really pleasing colors. For that matter, my D40 makes people look great, too. And I often use NX2 to process RAW, but that does not level the playing field.

What are your feelings on "people colors," D2Hs v. D300 v. D700?

3. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    That is a tough call. Its pretty sweet to have such a fast camera that can make files fly on the computer. I have let most cameras go but I have held on to a D2h yet I cant remember the last time I used it.

4. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I'm not the best judge to point out the best skin-tone camera, but i'd say with either D300 / D700 you can make anything you want with it, just by having Picture Control...this said....D2Hs's Color Mode I is pretty much on the money too.....

5. I have a D300 and I actually am in the market for a VG condition D2Hs, I have done tons of research on it and I feel the 4mp file sizes fit me just fine! I'll use the D300 for special purpose jobs but, the D2Hs for my personal shooting! If anyone from the USA wants to sell theirs, drop me a PM and we'll talk! But..... I would say to weigh your needs at this point with keeping vs. selling. It is a great camera from everything I have read about it and the file sizes are another thing to think about as well. If you don't do much cropping in post or, print obnoxiously large on a regular basis, why not just keep it with you for "casual" shooting? IMHO.....

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    At low ISO no doubt that I liked the D2h files but since my D700 I've touched it once, just because I had to have 2 cameras at once.

The thought of selling it has crossed my mind but it vanished as soon as I realised how much (or little in this case) I could sell it for. No point in selling it really so it will just sit in my bag.

7. Stephen Fox

Stephen Fox Guest

My Hs is the business.....
    [​IMG]

Lens used was 300 f2.8 VR and TC17EII

8. There are some great points brought up here so far, what is the difference between the "H" and "Hs" models?

9. The D2Hs replaced the D2H model (of course) The Hs has the same menu system that the D2X had which was a slight upgrade from the D2H. The slight body changes were also from the D2X body. But you really can't see thos unless you have both cameras in front of you.
    The biggest change was a complete redo of the JPEG 'engine' in the camera. it produces better JPEG's in high ISO images.
    The NEF handling is the same though. SO if you want to shoot NEF images, then a D2H would save money as a used body while getting great images, but if you have to shoot JPEG's in low light the D2Hs is a better choice.

10. Add me to the list of those who are still holding on the their D2hs bodies— and on the fence about selling — even with the addition of the D3. The D2hs doesn’t get used that much, but seems like it would be the go-to camera for shooting some Web work . . . plus as one poster noted, it may be more feasible economically to hold onto it than to sell it.

11. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Don't forget the 40 shot RAW buffer on the D2Hs.... :wink:

12. With the new camera bodies, I can literally shoot in almost any lighting situation. I couldn't do that during with previous generations of cameras. Now I do not feel constrained by lighting conditions. These new cameras are near perfect!

13. The D2H sensor is more sensitive to IR than other and converts to a fulltime IR body nicely.

14. At this point some of the comments have tempted me into a D2H. If I were to stumble into some extra overtime at work, would a D2H or D2Hs be an improvement above a D50 as a second body, especially in terms of high ISO performance, or should one just buy a D90 instead?

15. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    No the D50 is better than the D2H. Can't speak for the Hs since I've never used it though.

But comparing those cameras solely based on ISO doesn't make sense since they play in completely different leagues. On the one hand you have a entry level amateur camera (D50) and on the other hand you have a pro level camera (D2H). Just handling them will make you understand.

16. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal

My feelings exactly….the sensor on the D3 / D700 is perfect for what I do, a perfect all-rounder.

If I want to, I can shoot F1.2 in daylight at ISO 100….i can also shoot up to ISO 12.800 at F1.2 and still get a useable image… and this….will be impossible with any other previous or current camera apart from these two….and I’m just talking about extreme situations.

Dynamic range is huge compared with a D2Hs, which will blow highlights in high-contrast scenes, AWB is also much, much better…..but….AF on the D2Hs is still amazingly fast, the sound of those particular 8FPS is not the same as a D700 with MB-D10 grip…..it will turn heads when you let it rip…. :biggrin: It can be shot in the rain and keep on ticking…..it feels like it would last through a war….the 40 raw buffer is unmatched by any current camera and a 4GB card will go a loooooong way….sharp, sharp files.....and it has that pro-body feel that even though is not practical on a daily basis, specially when you don’t want to stick out in a crowd, it does give you a sense of confidence. Heck...i even made 2 magazine covers with it and heaps of double-page spreads....

The D700, even if it’s extremely well built, has too many plastic bits like the battery door or the CF card opening….apart from that…just perfect.

I’ve put an add for sale on the D2Hs, if I sell it will be for much less than it’s actually worth for me ( which is not market value….) and I wonder if I should keep it indefinitely….mine is mint too, works flawlessly…..i’m perhaps too spoiled with the D700 and should give the Hs another chance to get some work done…..not the perfect camera, but it has its special character.

18. What iso can you 10x8 print the d50 images too?
    I have found iso 800 about max on hy d2h.

19. The D50 is a very nice camera that produces great images that require little post-processing right out of the camera. Still, comparing it to the D2H is a bit of an apples & oranges thing. If you're a landscape shooter, either camera would serve you well and the D50 might even be the better choice as Julien suggests. I bought mine with the intent of tracking and shooting birds in flight. The D50 doesn't do that well and certainly not at 8 FPS.

If you nail the exposure with the D2H it can make stunning prints up to 20x30. I never shoot higher than 400 ISO with mine so I can't confirm any higher ISO will give you the results you want.

Perhaps a D90 would be just the body you're looking for.

20. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I don't know because the photo published with the D50 were only low ISO. But just looking at the files I'd say ISO 800 on the D2H is worse than 1600 on the D50.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.