D2Hs at a concert...ISO 800 to 6400 ( but mostly 1600.... ;-) )

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Sandro Bravo, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I went to a small beach concert last night and took the chance to put the D2Hs high-iso to the test again....i was surprised and very pleased with the results since i never shot in such a low light place....most shots are ISO 1600, but there's a couple of 3200 and one at 800 and 6400...

NR is OFF on all of the photos, which were taken in RAW, using Matrix Metering, Aperture Priority with -0.7 EV to -1EV applied.

Just check the bottom of the page on this link and let me know what you think of these:

http://www.pbase.com/slbravo/nikon_d2hs_highiso_test

2. Sandro -

Your 3200 shots look like my D50's 1600 shots. Hell of a camera you have there...or is it the PP.

I was tempted to buy one of these currently listed here, but the owner was candid enough to admit a noise problem at iso800. I read in the midst of a review on the B&H pages that this model fell into two groups....a batch that were atrociously noisy, and a group that had very fine high iso performance. It looks like yours may be among the latter.

In any case, for the kind of test shooting you've been doing, it looks very fine.

3. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Hi Harry, these had no PP at all....:wink:...just straight Jpegs from original RAW, NR OFF and that's it, if i had applied the NR equivalent to Normal on NX they would clean up nicely, but i liked the results i got just like they were.

The other photos ( which weren't from the concert) on the same link had NR applied on NX ( "Normal" equivalent) but not these....:biggrin:

4. Great shots for a 4 MP camera 2 such high iso. Have you printed 8x10s or 11x14s from any of your high iso shots? If so, how do they look/compare to lower iso and/or higher MP cameras?

The %$#* with lens lust...I want that camera! Maybe I should trade my D200...lol

5. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I've only printed ISO 400 shots so far, i don't print that often...anyway, even without printing the difference in higher iso's between the D2Hs and D200, which i also have, is very significant, which will for sure show up in actual printing.

I'm finding that 4MP is more than enough for my usual needs, except for shooting surfing for magazines that prefer handling the bigger 10MP files of the D200...as i see it, resolution aside, the image quality of these 4MP is top-notch.

6. Very nice series of shots Sandro. The hi-ISO performance is exceptional. Fun camera to use, isn't it? This D2HS has a special place in my heart as it was once mine and I sold it to my friend Andreas. Sadly, I never used it as much as I initially thought and always grabbed my D2XS.

Appears you are mastering this camera and getting along well. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Cheers

7. sebastian73

sebastian73

Apr 24, 2007
    Switzerland
    Hi Sandro,

my short comment:"very nice pics" :smile:
    How I see, you are also very enthusiastically with your D2hs. Me too...

here are four new pics of my D2hs.
    see the first four pictures, Arctic Cirlce, Jump and Annika.
    They I have shoot yesterday.

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/19199

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2007
  8. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Thanks Sebastian, i can see you're also putting your camera to work on a place it does so well...low-light and high-iso...:smile:

All i can say is that it is still in good hands...:wink:....eventually i'll trade the D200 for a D2X or whatever comes next with CAM 2000 or better but the D2Hs has a permanent place in my bag....those clean 4MP files are a joy to work with and i can't imagine myself dealing with +10MP files only. Since they won't make another 4MP pro-camera, those thinking about it better hurry up picking one up...:biggrin: