D2Hs - High-ISO Custom Curve

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Sandro Bravo, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Well, the quest for better performance at higher-iso never seems to end (specially for the Nikon user… :biggrin: )....it’s ending up to be an hobby for when i can’t go out and shoot...

So what’s different this time…..? I just took some time and tweaked a couple of custom curves, based on a “almost no-light” ISO 6400 photo, adjusting the way the camera shows bright and dark areas.

The main idea was to bring the shadows to a darker tone without compromising the bright areas too much…..the result is a slightly darker photo, with the shadow areas revealing a very different result from any I’ve seen before…..

- I took all the photos in RAW ( in-camera NR OFF), hand-held and turned NR OFF in Nikon NX before saving to Jpeg since 3200 and 6400 will have NR apllied by NX, even if it was OFF on the camera.
    - Matrix Metering, Sharpening Medium-High
    - for each photo taken with the custom-curve (NR ON or OFF), there is one equal taken with the Tone Compensation set to Normal for comparison purposes.

www.pbase.com/slbravo/d2hs__high_iso_custom_curve

As i see it, both ISO 3200 and 6400 show a huge difference in noise compared to what would be normally processed by the camera ( which wasn’t half-bad to start with), even the ones with NR ON seem to show noise reduction in a much cleaner way with this curve, with less “blurriness”…Maybe it’s just my eyes, but I’m finding the results of this custom curve to be much more than I though it would ever be possible……

2. You never cease to amaze me :smile: great job!

3. those look really good and i'm actually very impressed!... especially impressed with the iso 6400 photos... wow. this camera is in my 'to-buy' list once i'm out of college.

4. Sandro - how do I go about putting a custom curve? Is it within the camera?

5. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Yes...you need Nikon Camera Control to make one and upload on to your camera, if it supports custom curves.

6. Thank you Sandro - that's now my next purchase :smile:

7. Camera Curve -- Software..

Hi Dude:

Check out http://www.toneupstudio.com

Tone-up is very handy with curves. Toneup uses the Nikon software Development Kit (SDK). Tone up also is a RAW processor. The really nice thing is it is only $15 US. :smile:

8. Would this also work in a D2h?

9. custom curves work with all nikon dslrs as far as i know.

10. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Remember Capture 4? It's companion Camera Control program also lets you upload Custom Curves (at least it does to my D2Hs's).

11. I will look them up, thanks for the tip

Strangely that's what I use to convert my RAW files to Jpeg tried it this weekend and it did not recognize my camera... :confused:

12. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Check the last 14 shots (NR ON, Jpegs converted from RAW), went back to my 1st Custom Curve and it definitely does the trick for me...so much for testing, i got what i was looking for, clean ISO 3200 shots...:smile:
    http://www.pbase.com/slbravo/d2hs__high_iso_custom_curve

NR was left ON since it doesn't affect IQ or sharpness that much. I've provided the curves to a couple of people who asked, if someone can host it, it could be nice to see other people results, it should work fine on a D2H.

Testing done, time for a drink....:biggrin:
    ISO 3200 NR ON
    [​IMG]

13. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

It takes a knack - I think you have to plug the cable into the computer, then the camera then switch on the camera (making sure it's USB setting is in PTP mode) and make sure it's direct into the computer, not via a hub. Mine is hit and miss but once on it says attached OK.
    And you have upgraded to 4.4.2 ?

14. I can host your curve if you like on my site with the other curves. Nikonware.com

15. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Sandro, These are wonderful, I just purchased a used D2H off of the Cafe and have been amazed at out of camera ISO performance--- But these go far beyond in quality, I would be interested in trying this curve for sports so I am looking forward to seeing it hosted some where
    This place is great and Sandro thanks for sharing your work

16. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Thanks. I'll keep trying and posting results.

Just post your email adress here and i'll send it to you. Thanks. :smile:

17. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017