D2Hs - ISO 6400 test

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Sandro Bravo, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    After some initial testing with the D2Hs (https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=118778), i had to give the unsatisfactory ISO 6400 another go....:biggrin:

Since i still haven't used 6400 on the "street", i tried to make some tests shots in really bad light and see how that would do...if anything, making better ISO 6400 photos, would only improve substancially my 1600 and 3200 ones....

These were all handheld with the 50 F1.8, NR set to NORMAL, in RAW, converted to JPEG on Nikon NX

http://www.pbase.com/slbravo/iso_6400

So you can understand which is which....

. ORIGINAL -> straight out of the camera, with in-camera NR set to NORMAL

. NR OFF -> NR turned OFF on NX before saving as JPEG. I did this with a Custom setting that also changes the Tone Compensation from Normal to Medium High

. NR ON -> NR changed on NX to a lower value, while also changing the Tone Compensation from Normal to Medium High. This version shows a bit more noise than the ORIGINAL version, but the image is sharper and less smeared from the in-camera NR.

. NOISE NINJA -> just took the NR OFF file and processed it on Noise Ninja

Any comments / suggestions are most welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. These are very legitimate results. :smile:

3. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Thanks for posting. Your results look much better than the few 6400 shots I've taken, even with no noise reduction. I'll have to try it again.

4. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    6400 on my D2H is not happening. lol

5. Zack, I'm sure if you have proper exposure and use noiseninja, you will have very similar results.

6. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    Unuseable? Ha!

Very nice results, Sandro.

7. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    The D2Hs is a very nice tool to use in low light situations, and your photos look very good in the size you show them.
    But the main issue is, do they look good on paper at the desired size?
    In my opinion that is the main thing, what it looks like in a web sized picture is not very interesting.

8. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    The size i'm showing them is in the maximum resolution of the D2Hs, it's no web resize.....check it again and see if you clicked on the "original" size....:tongue:

If there's one thing i know is that web sized pictures of high-iso shots will always look better, that's why i always post full-resolution on these tests, unlike 95% of the high-iso photos you usually get to see.

Anyway, as you know, on print it will always look heaps better than watching at 100% on the pc, but how many of your digital photos does one print anyway ? Not much is my guess...

9. Just curious about what setting you used on Noise Ninja . . . standard ones for D2hs or did you adjust the setting. I typically find I need to reduce the settings for optimum results.

10. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I just profiled the noise on one of the ISO 6400 shots and kept everything default, including the 60% amount of sharpening...since it looked rather nice, i didn't do much tweaking.

11. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Well, you are right, I missed the "original" size, sorry for that.
    But I think you should read my posting again, you might find that our opinions on the printed pictures might be similar.

And by the way, how many pictures I have actually printed probably differ ( a lot ) from what you are guessing.

12. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    No worries mate.....personally i don't print that often so you'll beat me at that for sure. Anyway, from previous experiences while printing some D200 and D70 high-iso photos, i was very pleased with the results.

I only printed so far a couple of ISO 400 shots from the D2Hs and they look great. Anyway, from a "100% pixel-peeping" perspective, i'm finding the D2Hs far better than any other Nikon i've used, including a borrowed D2Xs.

13. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Well Sandro, I think we have very similar opinions on the matter.
    I have printed photos that look, well OK on the screen but with the right treatment many of them have looked great on paper in pretty big sizes.

I appreciate what you want to show, but some "pixel-peepers" might get the wrong impression when thy zoom in silly close to a photo and finding noise and other things that simply do´nt show in print.
    There is a lot of complaining around the web, mostly in other places then here, and a lot of it is just blown totally out of proportions.

Anyway, the D2Hs produces very good results at higher ISO´s.
    I have not printed any ISO1600 photos in bigger sizes but from what I´ve heard from others they normally look very good.
    The high ISO photos from the D200 that have found their way on to paper do look a lot better then they do on the screen.