D2Hs noise vs D2H

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Dragonflydm, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Could someone confirm how the D2Hs is better on the noise and image ability than the D2H? People always allude to it being superior, but no one has ever explained it. (I don't mind 4MP, but I hated the D2H noise issues).

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Josh,

I can confirm this rumor. I had two D2H's, and overall, I loved them, but ultimately, I sold them to get a D200. The D200 noise performance was about 2/3 stops better than the D2H, but unfortunately, it was destroyed in an accident. When I started looking for a replacement, a fellow Cafe member had a D2Hs for sale, and I decided to give it a try.

To put it mildly, I have been very pleased. It has all of the features that I loved about the D2H, and it has even better noise performance than the D200. Here is a shot at ISO720. I could never have shot at this setting with the D2H (or even the D200 for that matter).

[​IMG]

Hope that this helps. :smile:

3. Frank,

Great shot! I absolutely love the colors of the bird and background. I'm glad to see my former camera being put to such good use.

I found ISO 1000 fairly usable on that D2HS, with noise battles in PP only really occurring at ISO 1250 and up.
    And the prints always look better than the images viewed on a monitor.

I, too, noticed a significant difference in noise characteristics between my D2H and my D2HS raw images.
    I can't explain for Josh why there is such a difference, but in my experience it exists and is noticeable.

4. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=108772&page=2

Look at post no. 15 and the rest of the discussions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017