D2Hs, resolution and magazine printing

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Sandro Bravo, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Today i picked up one of the magazines (Onfire Surf) that i usually submit surf photos to and my 1st D2Hs photos got printed....the mag editor main concern was the small file size since they are used to Mark II, 5D and D200 ( i'm the only one using one of these in the "ranks").....i told him that posters, billboards and huge resizes can be done with the Hs raw files....he wasn't too impressed with my "tech-talk" about quality per-pixel, etc...:tongue:

They ended up printing two of those on double-page spread and both were cropped....and it looks great....so, to sum it up, resolution isn't always everything and for Nikon maybe sometimes smaller means better....:biggrin:

P.S: and it even handles high-iso like a champ...:biggrin:

2. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Resolution isn't even most of it imho. I've used 144 or 150 dpi/inch more times than I can count. If your resolution is double your printers line screen, you're generally good to go imo.

3. kirbdog

kirbdog

Mar 28, 2006
    Whistler, B.C.
    Sandro I had a long discussion with my brother on the this very matter after I bought my D2h. My brother is the Art Director and Editor of a Skateboard Magazine.
    It is not about resolution or image quality when it comes to the D2h. It is about the image size, the 4.1 megapixel image is smaller than a full page of a magazine. In order to use that image for a full page he has to go through a few extra steps to enlarge it. It not a big deal except if you are laying out a 100 page magazine with 100's of photos before a deadline. That extra step means more time and is prone to making the Art Director and Layout guys cranky.

There you have it, size does matter! But not when it comes to image quality in this case.

4. Neilss

Neilss Guest

Sandro,

Are you going to upload that Hi-ISO custom curve you made and showed here? The owner of Nikonware.com offered to host it. I'd be curious to try it if you want to share:)  Or maybe you would just send it to me?

I've just today loaded his +.3EV,+.5EV and White Wedding curves for a try. I like the +.5EV and the white wedding curves quite a bit.

Thanks

Neil, D2HS owner for 2 years

5. Neilss

Neilss Guest

If you would send it.....

neilsphoto at yahoo.com

Thanks

Neil

6. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Hi there,

I sent the curve to the owner of Nikonware but don't know if uploaded it yet.

Anyway, i just sent it to your email.

7. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Yeah, you're absolutely right....a 12MP file will make things easier in a workflow point of view and every mag will always prefer bigger...

Anyway, what i'm trying to point out is that it is possible for such a small file size to be used "professionaly" as a bigger file would be used with next to none loss of IQ. I'm just pointing this out since i never expected that such big crops like they did could still be printed that big and look good....it's a shame that the H camera is so underrated, specialy since most people never even got to use one due to file size, let alone using one to its fullest.

8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Well I've had many photos printed in magazines ( and more to come ) both from my D2H and D50 and never had the least problem about IQ or what not. And I must say I liked what I saw when I had the photos unde my eyes as well. :biggrin:

9. Neilss

Neilss Guest

Sandro

Thanks for sending the curve. Now I need to decide which of the other 3 to remove. I think the +.5EV and White Wedding are similar in look but maybe the White Wedding one I'll keep along with +.3EV and add the 3200 curve for now.

Again thanks

Neil

10. News to me... never saw it :smile:
    Could you please resend? You can mail it to "richards AT mindspan Dot Net"
    Cheers,
    Ray

11. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I sent it on the 29th July, maybe you didn't get it or was blocked as spam, anyway, i just resent it.

12. Neilss

Neilss Guest

OK, maybe a little of topic but since we are talking about and using custom curves maybe not.

I tried to load the custom curves into NX. Every curve was greyed out so when I had an image open and tried to load a curve i could get to them but not load them. I had an idea. Follow my thought and tell me if I've gone off track. I'm thinking this because maybe adding the 3200 curve after the shoot may help an image or at least you want to try it.

I open an image in NX that has Sandros 3200 curve applied in camera. In image data I make changes or not to sharpening,mode or whatever. If I then save the settings that include the 3200 curve and name it "3200" could I then apply it (the curve) as if it were a setting or set of settings I'd made to any other image? Follow me?

Or to make it simpler is there a way to just save the curve in settings some other way that I missed?

Neil

13. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    A "bit" off-topic...:biggrin:

Anyway you're supposed to upload the curve to the camera, not applying it afterwards. Just use Nikon Camera Control to do it.

14. Still haven't received it... checked my spam blocker and my ISP's blocker too. Could you instead send it to ray AT rayrichards DOT org? That way it should bypass my ISP's spam filter completely and just hit my own mail server. Thanks!

15. Thanks Sandro -- the file is now up on the site.

16. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Thanks Ray . :smile:

17. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Care to expand on this? A pixel is a pixel .... how is the quality of a pixel that comes out of D2Hs better than the quality of a pixel that comes out of a 1mp camera-phone?

18. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    ....it's only a figure of speech....but....feel free to compare what comes out of 4MP point&shoot / camera-phone / camcorder-camera with a D2H/Hs file....

4MP will scare most editors since the file size is small, specially when they are used to MarkII, 5D, D2X, D200......they also associate small with lesser quality....so some need to be convinced that the 20.000 or more mag prints won't have a low-quality print on a double page because it originated from a heavily cropped D2Hs file......now that they've seen the actual end results, i don't have to worry when i submit to them some work done with the Hs and not the D200....simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  19. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Okay ... I agree that there can be some really good 4MP images, I was just wondering what the statement about pixel quality was.

20. Sorry, but what do you mean by "some" ?? From my logic, 100% of good images are good.

Billy, the best would be that you use a D2H and then talk from experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.