D2Hs - Should I keep it or send it back

I bought a used D2Hs last week for what I thought was a pretty good deal, $500.00 shipped and Paypalled. 64k Actuations and photos showed it to be in EX+ cosmetic condition. Claimed to be fully functional with the battery on #2. Came with the box and everything originally included in the box.

Camera arrives and looks better than the photos. no problems with the cosmetic condition. No evidence of drops or any other damage. Only minor paint scrapes in the usual places. The camera works as new. No weird noises, no meter nonsense, focus right on, etc. It just feels right and feels good. I've had D2's before and this one is exactly what it should be (well almost)

After thoroughly going through the camera, I noted two undisclosed deficiencies and one false claim. The deficiencies are an eyepiece shutter jammed in the open position and a loose strap lug on the left side. The false claim is that the battery is on #3, not #2, and the battery replace icon is lit up.

The battery I can live with, aftermarket batteries are cheap enough. I can get around the strap lug by using a "K-Strap" that attaches to the tripod mount, I prefer that type of strap anyway. It is the jammed eyepiece shutter that concerns me most. Both for ease of tripod use and the inability to change eyepieces.

The seller has offered to take it back for a full refund of my $500.00 (I will probably be out of pocket the return shipping cost) or he has offered to send me $50.00 via Paypal and I keep the camera as-is.

Normally I would send it back, argue for the return shipping costs and keep looking. Unfortunately (for me) clean D2Hs' are few and far between and usually a lot more expensive. So the big question is ....... Should I keep it and accept the $50.00 and make it a $450.00 camera (and work around the eyepiece shutter) or send it back for a refund?

I think I have answered my own question while writing this but I would still like to hear what the collective has to say.

Also, has anyone had any experience having an eyepiece shutter repaired?

Well, I'd say you keep it, (of course accepting those 50$). A good clean D2hs is a great find.
Send it for repair somewhere, as Jonathan said.
Or, I would not care really about it.

I'd keep it too. An "s" for that money is a good find, especially if you can live with the strap button issue. Personally, I like the normal strap and would have it fixed. The finder looks like it's pretty easy to pop off to have a look see. Just a couple little phillips and I bet you have it in your hand...

My decision as I was writing the original post this morning was to keep it and take the $50 from the seller.

After an afternoon shooting around Ventura harbor on this very gray and gloomy day, no way am I sending it back. I'll either fix it or work around the deficiencies

All photos, large/fine JPEG's, SOOC. Lens used is a 105mm f2 DC at either f2.8 or f3.5. Minus 1/3 stop EV (except the chain).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'd keep it too. An "s" for that money is a good find, especially if you can live with the strap button issue. Personally, I like the normal strap and would have it fixed. The finder looks like it's pretty easy to pop off to have a look see. Just a couple little phillips and I bet you have it in your hand...
I had those two phillips out quickly. The back plate would not budge and I wasn't about to force anything. I sent the seller a response asking for the $50.00 refund. Once I have that I will take it to the local Nikon authorized repair place and see what they have to say.

I bought a "used" Nikon D2Hs from B&H that they rated a "10, like new" for $900. When it arrived, complete with the original box and all the accessories, the focus was completely out of whack but the body was just beautiful, like it was new-old stock. It also seemed to shoot way over exposed as well. Instead of sending it back to B&H, I just took it to Strauss Photo-technical in Northwest DC to see if they could fix it. In addition, I wasn't sure it was a US imported body. Strauss couldn't fix it because they didn't have the equipment on-line yet to fix the autofocus so they sent it off to Nikon for repair. I cost me $450 to get it fixed, so now I have over $1k in the body, but the surpise was the body had less then 700 actuations. This unit must have been a demo model or a display model. I have no idea how the autofocus got so out of alignment but was glad I could get it fixed and since Nikon USA fixed it, I also know it's a US model. It's really difficult to find D2Hs's in pristine condition with low shutter counts. I suspect most of them were used for sports photography and they took a beating. Keh rarely has one in mint condition for sale. If they get some in, I'm sure they don't sit around for very long.

BTW, those are great images of the Ventura Harbor....!

mike

Update

I got the estimate from the repair shop today. $140.00 to replace the eyepiece shutter assembly & repair the strap eyelet. The seller paid the $50.00 refund so this D2Hs is costing me $590.00. Not too terrible.

BTW, I found a D2X with 8k actuations in mint- cosmetic condition and fully functional (I asked a whole bunch of specific questions) with 2 batteries, an 8GB card and other accessories for $800 Paypalled and delivered.

I should be set for camera bodies for life now....:cool:

Gregg, you can't fool us , there is no way one can get a decent photograph without 12 mp MINIMUM !!!
just kidding, great buy and camera, I still like the old D1 and D1H and am tickled pink with their results
have fun.

Gregg, you can't fool us , there is no way one can get a decent photograph without 12 mp MINIMUM !!!
just kidding, great buy and camera, I still like the old D1 and D1H and am tickled pink with their results
have fun.
90% Of what I shoot and keep never makes it past a computer screen or the internet. Of the remaining 10% I would estimate 80% never gets printed beyond 5x7.

I used to get very good results going up to 12 x 18 with my old D100. I am confident I will get equal or better results at that size with this D2Hs. If I'm specifically going out to shoot something that needs a lot of detail (I do some forensic photography for civil litigation), I'll use the newly acquired D2X (or one of the D200's till it's sold).

I grew up in this business when Tri-X was the speed demon @400 and could be reasonably pushed to 800. The digital output from any D2*** camera is so far superior. The young kids today just don't understand what it was like shooting color film in the day with an ASA 64 speed limitation. And it was slide film. If you didn't nail the exposure or bracket in the camera, you lost the shot.

Photography was my first career back in the late 1960's and early 70's. It was the family business and I quickly learned that when working for family they demand twice as much and want to pay you half the going rate ...:biggrin:

Top Bottom