D2Hs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EdMac, Apr 3, 2005.

1. I see that B&H now shows the D2Hs as in stock. Has anyone had their hands on one of these? :)

2. Thanks Frank,
    I will look at the link. I was just wodering if it is worth the difference. It is still a lot of money lol.

3. I played with his files

And at least from what I saw, there was improvement in noise in the jpegs, but shooting NEF and using NeatImage, the two images are essentially the same.

4. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Re: I played with his files

I need to add my own note here, it became clear to me that while i was doing these tests and posting the results on the DP forum, that some users were wanting to proove that the images were the same, this is clearly not the case, sure if i modge with all the settings you can get similar results, but the images from the D2hs are far superior to that the of the D2h IMHO having owned both cameras, the metering on the d2hs is much better, the auto wb has been dramtically improved and the noise is almost gone even at 1000 ISO (yes it may be software at work in the camera but this is the same on the D2X)

I do still have the sample files if people want them, i had to take them offline after my bandwidth hit the roof.

5. Hi James,

Could you send me some samples at 400 ISO, 800 ISO and 1600 ISO? I would appreciate taking a look at the images, thanks!

6. Hi James,

Could you send me some samples at 200 ISO, 400 ISO, 800 ISO and 1600 ISO? I would appreciate taking a look at the images, thanks!

My email is: jonathan@inhousephoto.com

7. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    On its way it a bit, via you send it. Please keep in mind, that these are very rough examples and are straight out of the camera.

Hope that helps, you`ll need Nikon Capture V4.2.1 to open them.

8. Calfee

Calfee Guest

Does anyone know if you can open RAW files from a D2Hs in PS CS directly, or do you need Nikon Capture?
    I would assume you can open JPG with no problem in PS CS. Correct?

Thanks,

Calfee

9. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    You can only open then in

Properly in Nikon Capture V4.2.1

Support is offered by

Raw Essentials V1.1.2
    RawMagick (beta)

Please keep in mind that Nikon have changed the way that the WB is saved into the NEF format so some software will open the file but not read the WB properly, which is easiler set by you in that software.

Hope that helps.

Photoshop CS does not support D2hs files. But ACR V3.1 "should" support it when it is released after CS 2

10. Calfee

Calfee Guest

Thanks James. What is ACR?? I have only used PS CS. I thought that PS CS (ot the new version CS2) will open the NEF files from the D2hs and D2X.

BTW, do you think that JPG fine images straight out of the camera are good enough to use when I shooting an event where the image count is pretty high and the time to process isn't that much?

Thanks,

Calfee

11. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    ACR = Adobe Camera Raw

At the moment ACR wont open files from the D2x and the D2hs.

Photoshop CS2 will ship with Prelim support for the D2x

Full support for the D2x and hopefully the D2hs will come with V3.1 of ACR which will be released soon after Photoshop CS2 hits the stores.

At sports events i have to shoot JPEG and they look great, with the new noise reduction as well its even better. Hope that helps.

I nearly always shoot RAW + JPEG Fine

12. Calfee

Calfee Guest

Thanks. I shoot misc sporting events and have been hoping the the D2Hs JPG files will be better on the D2Hs versus my D2H. I am looking for improvements in color, Auto WB, and noise. From the sound of it, you think this camera will fit the bill. Correct?

13. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    IMHO yes it does work better. Its a tough call to decide to move from a D2h to a D2hs, i dont think many people will be doing it. But as a second body its a great addition if you already won a D2h.

14. Calfee

Calfee Guest

Thanks again. I have a D2H (about 6 months old), and I also bought a second D2H from B&H just before they went out of stock (but have not even opened the box b/c I'm not sure I will keep it). This second camera only cost me $1,999. That said, the D2Hs is about $1200-$1400 more than the new D2H I have, and I am wondering if the D2Hs is really worth the extra money. What do you think?

15. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    My best suggestion is that your hire a D2hs and see if its fits your needs, as my D2h was replaced by a D2hs due to continued problems i had with my D2h. If it was me, i would rent one and see if i liked it, :)