D2x & 70-200 VR Performance

If you ever wondered how effective the VR is on a Nikon lens, check out these shots:

D2x, AutoFocus Continuous (Single Area), Aperture Priority, f/4, 1/1250, WB Auto

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Awesome shots! Congratulations on the 70-200mm VR! I really want that lens as well but I do not think VR was the key to those shots.

I was under the impression that VR does nothing for you at high shutter speeds. I mean there isn't much to stabilize in vibrations with high shutter speeds. If you shoot at 1/1250, you can freeze almost any human action.

Unless I am mistaken with how VR works, I think it was the 1/1250 shutter speed that worked out there.

The VR is supposed to help you when your hand held shaking at slow shutter speeds causes blur. i.e. shooting at 200mm you can shoot at 1/50 (or better if you have practiced your "steady hand" technique :) ) or so instead of 1/300 (1/200*1.5)

However, the 70-200mm VR lens is SHARPER than the 80-200mm f/2.8 it replaced. (sniffles). That alone makes me want to get the 70-200mm VR. That plus you can't get a brand new AF-S super telezoom with that focal length. Puny, slow bodies like the D70 could use all the help they can get with regards to focusing!

Carroll,

If his pictures were taken from the deck opf a moving boat, then VR I think will help quite immensely. Even with a shutter of 1/250 his images would probably be a blurry mess without active VR, as his whole body is probably vibrating and bouncing around. I have taken shots from a slow moving ferry that look like paintings because of the motion, and he looks like he is moving a lot faster, so I think Vr really did help in this case.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom