D2X 85 1.4 with SB-800's

Discussion in 'People' started by tweber, May 2, 2005.

1. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    This is my daughter. She needed a portrait for a senior project. The D2X on a etripod shows me there isn't a focus problem with mine. I used an expodisk for wb.. this required no color adjustment. Whad'ya think?

Tom

original.

2. Geeze Tom, that's beautiful! I feel like I'm standing right behind you when you took the shot. The clarity and color are fantastic.

Hard not to be happy with this one.

_/oe

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tom,

Very nice. I'd never know that she was your daughter if you hadn't told us. 8)

4. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Tom,

Very nice. That 85 f/1.4 is also my favorite portrait lens.

5. Good shot Tom!! Way to go!! You have a beautiful daughter!! :D :D :D

6. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Yes, Frank, I'm glad I can claim her. ;)

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

Tom

7. Beautiful shot, beautiful daughter.
    hope that is not poisen ivy :^)

8. eye popping lovely

oh yeah, your technique was good too... :wink: You have a lovely daughter, and you captured a really nice sense of humor and sweetness.

All you guys with your D2x are giving me HUGE heartache... I have been repeating my mantra "wait for the d200 equivalent" over and over, but the more of this stuff I see the more impatient I get.

9. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Re: eye popping lovely

Hey Ed,

It's great to see you here. Thanks for your comments. I for one vote for you to have a D2X. Just rack up some more of those business plans and consulting hours. Or you could enter your Aussie in some cash prize agility competitions. ;)

Tom

10. Uh, Tom, that'd be TWO Aussies

Not to get too far off topic here, but we now have a second Aussie. My wife would not relent in her belief that Sam would LOVE to have company, so we got a rescue dog through ARPH. Drove to Ohio to check him out (with Sam - if they didn't hit it off, we were going to come back empty handed) and drove home with him. Wonderful dog. But Sam has changed his mind...temporary I'm sure, but as they adjust to each other, we have some VERY interesting moments... Here's a link to see him...

http://www.onemountainphoto.com/brudders/meetfoster.htm

11. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Re: Uh, Tom, that'd be TWO Aussies

Congratulations on your new Aussie, Ed. I love the blue merle, especially those eyes. It's always fun seeing your updates!

Tom

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Very nice shot Tom, one your lovely daughter will cherish for the rest of her life, I'm sure. I wish I had some nice photos of myself during my own teenage years.

Concerning the focus problem some have reported, doesn't that problem only affect focus on a moving target at long distances?

13. What an appealing portrait, Tom! Forgetting the gear, the rapport between photographer and model has allowed her
    to pose naturally, and let her character shine through the image. It's a beautifully composed and captured portrait.

14. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    You're right, Chris, in that most focus problems involve longer lenses and moving subjects. I've also been reading about the challenges of such a densely packed sensor and the need for higher shutter speeds than we're used to using. I've gotten decent results shooting my yonger daughter's LcCrosse games, but I'm noticing incredible sharpness when using a tripod in a static situation.

Tom

15. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Thanks for such kind comments, Frank.

I'm blessed with three lovely daughters. My middle daughter is the most laid back of the bunch. She heads off for college in the Fall and I'm sure going to miss her.

Tom

16. That brings back some poignant memories. When we took our daughter to college, we settled her in her dorm, and then cried on the drive home :cry:.

When we took our son to college, we settled him in his dorm, and laughed all the way home :twisted:.