D2x AF / sharpness

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Keith, Jul 30, 2005.

1. I have had a luv hate relationship with this camera, more good than bad.

And yes I understand that it will show your poor technique where my D2h was much more forgiving. With manual focus lenses it is incredible but with simple af shots I have a harder time nailing sharp pictures, and lets not even get into flight shots. LOL. Not ovelry bad pics, just not what Im accustomed too and the percentage of keepers should be much higher. Here is a test chart I did, shot at 45 degree angle, shot wide open with my 17-55mm f2.8 and had it so the test page would fill my frame.

Interested in your thoughts?? Just want to make sure Im getting my monies worth............ ;-)

2. Keeping in mind that we really have to take these tests with a grain of salt...

To me, that DOF looks slightly biased towards the back, which is what you want.

The chart isn't very well squared with the camera, but that doesn't really matter I guess. I would try making a little target with some text on it and tape it at the center of that chart parallel with the sensor. So make a little flange or "L." Just for grins to see if you get the same result. Or maybe tape some easy to focus object there like a screw.

Does it repeat? Have you tried more than one focal length and distance to the chart?

3. to me it looks more front focused, now doesnt seem like much , but start shooting at 10-20-30 ft and I think it would make a difference. Will go try it again with taping in the target area as you suggested...............

thx

4. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Keith,

Personally I am finding the D2X to be more forgiving than my D2H.

The D2H exposures needed to be pretty close to correct and there wasnt much room for mistakes - esp. outdoors in sunlght situations, I always had blown highlight issues (well mostly anyway).

The D2X I'm finding easier - not sure why, maybe more DR and possibly the CMOS sensor in combination with software - I dont follow technical aspects too closely, I reckon it's the result that matters.

My big reality check was when I moved from a D1X to the D2H - thats when I found the D2H to be quite uncompromising.

5. Ah, well hard for me to see without being able to zoom in a bit more.

A similar shot with the last D2X I received would put the DOF where the "2mm" mark towards the back would begin to be out of focus.

6. Keith,
    I'm on my second D2X, the first one had OOF problems. I ran the same test you did and it seemed ok, but in real life I just couldn't get anything sharp. As Beezie said, you have to take the 45 degree test with a grain of salt. What I finally did was lock down my camera on the tripod and took a series of shots with all of my lenses. I used the same focus point which had good contrast and filled the sensor (center) area. I uploaded the images to Nikon and they agreed that I had a problem. Nikon wanted me to send in all of my lenses and the camera. I called Cameta instead and they exchanged my camera for a new D2X. All is well now. The only OOF problems now are me and a sloppy technique.

Hope this helps.