D2x AF weirdness -- What would explain this?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by David Fink, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Hi there,

For months I've been enjoying the D2x, blithely confident that mine is one of the fortunate samples not to suffer from AF problems.

However....recently I discovered that my Tamron 28-75 Di badly backfocuses on the camera. With stationary subjects. In all AF modes.

I was about to pack up the lens and ship it off for repair, but then I tested it on the S2 Pro, and all is fine.

Uh oh. So it's not the lens that's developed problems, but the D2x? But wait, then I tested a few other lenses on the D2x and found that most behave just fine (85/1.4, 18-35, 105/DC, 50/1.4, etc.).

The only other lens I've found to backfocus on the D2x is the AF-S 24-85, but it too focuses without problems on the S2.

So......what would explain the D2x failing to properly focus ONLY CERTAIN lenses and not others (assuming the lenses themselves are not faulty)??

Surely this seems some kind of communication error between the body and the lens, rather than a misalignment of AF sensors or such?

Any ideas/hypotheses?

Anyone else encounter this sort of "selective AF trouble"???

(I really do NOT want to send in the D2x along with a slew of lenses if it can be avoided, especially since my favorite lenses seem to AF beautifully. It is really only the Tamron that I would like to sort out.....but again, it is fine on the S2, which is what perplexes me.)

Thanks in advance,

David

2. D2XDeb

D2XDeb

Oct 21, 2005
    Manhattan USA
    D2X backfocusing problem

Ihave 2 D2X's and they are SO different. The first one I bought when they were first out, and the second one I bought used recently. They are like night and day-the first one backfocuses A LOT while the other one does not, so it is definitely the camera. I am afraid we have to send them back as I know a few others who had the same problem. Send them a CD of images to show them the problem

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Hi Deb,

Thanks for the reply. Since posting my original message, I've done some more testing, and although the results are not entirely conclusive, I'm more sure now that my problem is in the Tamron lens. (Or perhaps in the communication between that lens and the camera.) Most of my other lenses appear to AF very well on the D2x, so long as one pays heed to the actual (not apparent) size of the AF sensors.

However, I do think Paul's point about manufacturing tolerances is a good one, with respect to both the camera itself, and to lenses.

Best wishes,

David

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005