D2X and Hockey

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Tomerrifc, Dec 13, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice work for the first time out....
    I would stop down some for some DOF, you only need about 1/250- 1/320 to stop most of the action in hockey.

Next I would suggest not worry about following the puck, but instead follow the action, checks are great hockey shots. The Goalie also make for great shots. Face offs are also great opportunities
    If your hoping to sell your work, don't forget the ref and linesmen. I sell a lot of prints to them.
    Youth hockey can be very profitable to photograph.
    I kind of miss the days I photographed a Junior A team from that point of view, and much easier to follow too compared to the minor pro team I shot for now.

2. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I a little amazed at how bright your arena is, it is .3EV or more brighter than MSG.

[​IMG]

Hockey is a weird sport to shoot, as you say the puck is tiny and moves FAST, and the athletes are faster as well (faster on ice than a person can run)

However, I think hockey is often a 2 person shot - another words most shots are with the camera horizontal capturing more than one person, while basketball is a vertical shot, usually just one player, or primarily one player being defended. Most peopl are not tight enough on the bball shots, but this natural tendancy to shoot too loose works out well in hockey imo.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These images are pretty darned good, Ty. As was mentioned, the arena is very well lit. I have had very poor success shooting hockey and plan to shoot some after the beginning of the new year. I hope mine come out as good as these.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice work Ty. Exposure, WB, and focusing look good and you followed the action well. Only thing missing is some fight shots. :smile:

5. Thanks Dave,

I really appreciate your comments. However, your suggestions of shooting at 1/250 - 1/320 for me there rendered some motion blur. I had actually tried those setting first and had to work my way up to where I was to get as close to sharp as i did.

And as for following the action there. Well there is not a lot of hard checking at this particular rink. A few years ago a kid was severely paralyzed at this rink and in his honor you see the STOP signs on the backs of some of the kids uniforms. I guess it sort of serves as a little reminder for them to hold up and not go at it so hard. Also getting good shots there of the kids against the boards would only give me some awfully distracting backgrounds as there is no spectator seating on the side facing from where I was shooting from. And that side of the rink looks into an arcade that is very very busy most of the time.

I hope to improve my skill level in getting a little tighter next time out. And I am definitely going to try and sell some of these images. :smile:

Here are a couple more.

View attachment 20904

View attachment 20905

View attachment 20906

6. Hey twig,

Actually that arena is not that bright at all. I owe the brightness to a little batch adjustment in Nikon Capture in drawing out some light and still leaving a decent image.

And you are oh so right about how weird it is shooting hockey. I thought basketball was a challenge. Oh my, hockey really is a test of yours and the cameras focusing systems skills. Those kids can literally fly.

I will definitely work on getting a little tighter next time around.

7. Hey Frank,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am quite pleased at the end result. Nikon Capture batch processing gets all the credit for the brightness. The images were a little darker but not by very much.

All of the images were shot from the stands mostly from the first row hanging over the glass trying not to obstruct anyone's view. Boy did I luck out!

I did do a preset with the white balance but I ended up going back to auto WB for a good number of the shots.

We will see what happens next time out.

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Man I am shooting pro hockey at 1/320 and let me tell you what you were shooting is like slow motion compared to pros.

Here are a few of my shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hey Dave,

I really don't want to debate you on this nor do I have any reason to make a point. I am most happy with the images I got. Perhaps you shooting from ice level and me shooting from nearly the top row in the stands maybe that could have some bearing on the difference in shutter speeds. Your shots look like they are below the lights, I am shooting above the lights. Could there be a difference in exposure? Also what iso were you set at?

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

My ISO is set to 1600, that arena is very dark.
    Remember the ice messes with the meter a lot too.

11. Well now, there may indeed lie the dilemma. The first shots I posted were with the D2X 85mm f/1.4 iso 500 at 1/640 f/1.4. I errored in posting that they were iso 400. I just went back and looked at the data. The second shots I posted were with the D2X, 300mm f/2.8 iso 640 at 1/200 f/2.8.

I can't stand shooting at iso 1600. Way too much noise for me. I have not purchased any good noise reduction software yet. I am really going to work on getting a good WB perhaps to help me with noise issues at the higher iso's.

So I guess I'm not an idiot after all. :smile: