D2x Batteries

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by rbsmith, Nov 8, 2005.

1. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I was about to order an extra battery for my D2X. The Nikon En-El4 is out of stock. They have some of the offbrand En-El4s in stock. Has anyone used any of these. Or do you stay just with the Nikon.

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Stay With The Nikon

I tried several other brands and they all crapped out after less than an hour of turning the camera on.

Spend the extra 30 bucks and you'll never have to worry about it.

The honest to goodness Nikon battery is selling around here (MA) for $90 if you ask.

3. Well I disagree.

I bought one of the Power 2000 battereis froma place called battery Barn online and the battery works just as good as the Nikon battery.. I got over 1000 shutter firings bfore having to change it.. ( I was using mirror lockup which has a extra drain on the battery) Otherwise when not using mirror lockup It works just like the Nikon battery...

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi DR

Perhaps the manufcaturer of that battery actually got the electronics correct!

The other two which I tried wouldn't even provide 100 shots before draining down to emptiness.

5. Do not know where you bought your batteries.. BH photo has some of the other batteries and the place I got mine was at

http://www.batterybarn.com

6. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks for the info.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The Promaster battery works perfectly.

8. I say just stay with Nikon to be sure you are getting a good battery. There are somethings in Photography that you want to be name brand and one of those is a battery. You don't need a generic giving out on you when you are in the middle of shooting.

Hope this helps.

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Like the ones Nikon just recalled . . . :Curved:

10. John, I though about this before the recall. But heck there could be recalls on anything of Nikons. Wouldn't it be great if they gave a recall on all D2X's and they sent us all a new one and tell us to keep the old one. I am only dreaming :biggrin:

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yes you are :smile:

As far as the battery is concerned though, I am normally the first to pick the Nikon brand (for anything). However, I received a (free) Promaster battery with my D2X from Berger Bros and was surprised as anyone to find it to be the equal of the two Nikon batteries I have.

12. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks for the replies. I took Jims advice on the Nikon battery right after he posted. They were back ordered so I the one that Eric suggested. I recieved it today. It was $50.00 cheaper and they shipped for free. So I probably saved about $55.00. Now I"ll charge it up and see how itcompares to the Nikon that came with the camera. I'll let ya"ll know how it works. If it is just as good as th nikon I will have save enough to buy another. If not It won't be the first $50.00 I've wasted.

Thanks again.

13. It should work fine otherwise send it back for a replacement. It should come with a 3 year warranty...

14. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've always been a proponent of 3rd-party batteries, after all companies like Lenmar probably know more about making batteries than Nikon does. I used Lenmar EN-EL3 replacements for my D70 and they were even better than the OEM.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for the CTA EN-EL4 replacement I purchased for the D2x. Twice now, I've gone to put the CTA battery in, whichi had been charged within a few weeks and should have still been fresh, only to have the camera not power up at all. Putting the battery in the charger and conditioning it seemed to help, but the battery still doesn't last nearly as long as the OEM. I'm not saying all EN-EL4 replacement batteries are junk, but I would strongly recommend you avoid the CTA battery.

15. bill t

bill t Guest

I have had no luck with the ones sold by Delkin.

So far two have not worked with my D2x, one did work with my D2h (sometimes).

It's a fit issue I guess, They have replaced them but that is a real pain and time comsuming.

Bill

16. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I sort of had the same problem, battery kept asking to be calibrated. Turned out my mistake was not calibrating it in the first place. The calibration button need to be pressed and hold for couple of seconds.

for people whose using 3rd party battery, do you guys really shooting that much? I'm just curious because the most I shot in a day is about 1800 frames and I still have 44% left. I do have a backup 3rd party battery but I never used it, its for "just in case".

--ricardo

17. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    The battery from Battery Barn seems to hold up as long as the Nikon. I've only charged it once since I originally charged it and that was just to refresh it. It still had about 50 percent. As of now I would not hesitate to order another when it is needed. I don't see any reason to have more that two though.

18. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wow, I must chimp a lot more than you, or maybe you just have the meter timeout set really short. I don't think I've ever gotten anywhere near 1800 shots even with the original Nikon battery. More like 1200.

I was at a zoo Thanksgiving weekend, my Nikon battery died on me and when I went to put the CTA battery in the camera wouldn't turn on. I won't be using that POS anymore. My Lexar battery came this week, haven't used it yet but probably will this weekend.

19. nfoto

nfoto Guest

As far as sheer number of shots vs battery capacity is concerned, there are far too many variables involved to enable a numeric comparison between different photographers. The only possible comparison is between different batteries for the same photographer with the same camera, shooting under similar ambient conditions.

To underscore my point, I typically get between 350 and 500 shots from my EN-EL4 battery in one of my D2X cameras, unless I'm shooting outdoor in winter when I might get significantly fewer. Thus, I recently shot side by side with a friend a cold winter day, both used D2X and had freshly charged batteries in them, I had to replace the battery after 250 actuations, he got 750. This was at -10 C. Indoors when using the WT-2 transmitter on the D2X, I'm lucky if I get 100, and this is at +18 C. So shooting style plays a paramount rĂ´le and simply comparing numbers is practically meaningless. Always bring with you at least one spare battery, that the only sensible thing to do.

20. You are getting way to low a shot number from that en-el4 battery.. The minimum should be around 1000 before having to recharge the battery...