D2X - Battery Cover a bit Loose

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by smera, Aug 16, 2005.

1. smera

smera

Aug 11, 2005
    Brasil
    Hi Friends,

Since I acquired my D2X, I noticed a little of looseness on the battey cover, when the battery is attached to the camera. Have to confess that, although the normal functioning of the camera is not impaired in any way, it is a bit annoying to feel the "play" of the cover in your hand.

Does anyone here have the same problem ?

I already searched for advice on dpreview and found several users with the same problem of mine, which was fixed with some patches of foam glued on the sides of the battery, in order to imobilize it.

Other guy came with a different solution, advising to bend the metal lock of the plastic cover a little, but I would never try this for sure.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Roberto

2. xaviermacau

xaviermacau

May 9, 2005
    Macau
    May I suggest you to go back to your supplier and ask them to fix it through Nikon service?
    I suppose that your equipment is under warranty and this may be a production problem.

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

There isn't a photographic gear issue that epoxy glue can't help solve :D

4. smera

smera

Aug 11, 2005
    Brasil
    Hi Bjorn,

Sarcasm aside, what would you recommend instead of epoxy, which is quite a radical mod to do ?

Thanks in Advance

5. I believe the play is between the battery and the cover, not the battery and the camera.

I fixed one by gently bending the tabs that hold the posts on the battery. I also places a little rubber bumper on the other end of the battery, which helps a little. Very tiny bumper, though. Only about 2.5mm thick.

At least one can theoretically buy a replacement cover. If anyone ever has them in stock, that is.

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Actually, nothing. There are bigger things in the world to worry about. I do change the end caps quite a lot on my battery units (4 each for the D2X and D2H, I have caps for each of them) because I also use the wireless WT-1 and WT-2 , and the USB connecting cord on these transmitters is a weak point in need of protection by the special end cap provided by these items. Can honestly say I haven't noticed any play before this thread was posted, I then checked just for fun and sure enough if you apply brute force to the caps there is some play. Who cares? I certainly don't.

7. I think what bothers people is grabbing their otherwise rock solid camera, only to feel and hear a knock coming from the battery door. When mine was loose, a gentle tap on that door would produce a knocking sound. I was happy to get rid of it.

Play between the door and the camera isn't the problem.

8. lupodimare

lupodimare Guest

hello
    i also am interessed in this kind of problem my D2x suffer about the battery door "play"
    thx for yours replies

Giorgio
    Italy

9. smera

smera

Aug 11, 2005
    Brasil
    Hi Seawolf :)

Did exactly what others have done on dpreview fórums.

First, you need a small plier, like those found on Victorinox Swiss Champ.

Open the battery compartment and take out the batery. Remove the battery from the door and close the external latch, so you can see the metal lock protruding.

With VERY CAREFUL AND STEADY HANDS, bend the lock in-wards just a little. This will be enough for the lock to stay tight inside the chamber on the camera.

Alternatively, you can use a small patch of foam glued with double side sticky tape on the opposite side of the battery.

Hope this helps.

Roberto

10. lupodimare

lupodimare Guest

Thank you Roberto
    i will try what u said
    thanks again
    Giorgio
    Italy

11. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    LOL i use a WT1 a great deal, and i have to say the connector is one of nikons worst designs,

why make it stick out so far from the camera, its got "touch me and i`ll break" written all over it!

12. lupodimare

lupodimare Guest

thanks to the advice of Roberto aka "smera"
    i resolved the problem about the "play" of the battery door on the D2x
    now is fixed
    thanks again

Giorgio

13. smera

smera

Aug 11, 2005
    Brasil
    Hi Giorgio,

Glad you sorted your problem.

Happy shooting with your D2X and we look forward to see your captures.

Regards,

Roberto

14. Rocha

Rocha Guest

Roberto,

I have the problem too, just noticed today. I will try to fix following your instructions.

By the way, tambem sou do Brasil.

Luiz