D2X Battery dropped out-warning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Dec 23, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Today while carrying my D2X, 200-400 and Wimberley over my shoulder the battery and battery door dropped out. I had to walk a long distance in the sand on Sanibel Island and wrestled with the load I had..Apparently I loosened the battery door and it fell out.

Later when home (several hours) I realized it was gone so drove all the way back to Sanibel to look for it AND actually found it in the sandy road. No one had picked it up and no car had driven over it.

I'm very lucky because I would have had to ship it back to Nikon. Now will have my camera over the holidays.

So beware and be careful with that battery door lock. It can open.

Happy Holidays!
    Gaye

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow, that have a good outcome...
    That would have been a costly loss...
    However I did see some extra battery doors for sale on Ebay the other day when I was looking to see what extra batteries went for there.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW,
    that was lucky..
    Great effort on your part.
    I sure am glad you found it.
    Not the best day for you Gaye.

I am really sorry :<(((((

4. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks Dave and Gale,
    I do think I'll check out those extra battery doors that you wrote about, Dave. Thanks for that tip. Nikon said they'd have to have the camera sent into them and probably keep it a long time. I was not looking forward to that. Guess it would be a good idea to have an extra battery door.

Happy Holidays,
    Gaye

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

A piece of gaffer tape would do the job nicely and be a "very" cheap alternative to battery doors on eBay :biggrin:

My home-made "L" brackets will by their very design not allow the battery to fall out even if the camera is dropped to the ground. So I feel comfortably safe !

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, Bjorn, and your solution sure makes it easy and cheap.

I never would have thought of anything so simple.

7. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Samy's

GeeJay, I bought a couple of spare battery doors from Samy's in LA. They are at www.samys.com.

8. sure happy about the outcome for you. What confuses me is why it would have to go to Nikon at all? couldnt they just send a battery door?

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Dave,
    That confused me also but I had called tech support and now realize they didn't know what they were talking about. The holiday spirit had already hit him I think.

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Don,
    I hadn't heard of that camera site before. Thanks for that information. It looks good.

Have a good one!
    Gaye

11. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Other Stores also

I think BH and Adorama carry them also but when I needed/wanted one they were not in stock. Samy's is a very large dealer (I have never been there but have dealt with them via the internet).

12. Nice save Gaye, pretty odd that it could happen in the first place and good thing you were able to recover the battery and/or door...

13. I got a battery door from Samy's, but just after I ordered it, I got a message from B&H that they had them in stock.

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, Don,Brett and Scott,

Now I need to know what other spare parts you all have gotten. Is there anything else that can drop off the D2X /D70s?

I figure now I should think about what else can disappear. This issue of losing parts had never occurred to me before yesterday..Now I want to get all the spare parts I could lose for 'backups'.

Thanks,

Gaye

PS.. Scott, I remember you lost something when you were on your trip but can't remember what it was..something to do with the viewfinder I think. You were lucky to have your D70 with you.

15. Well my sanity for one thing. Actually I lost the diopter piece that screws into the back of the viewfinder. I will never travel without a spare. They are innexpensive and tiny to carry but what a hastle it was without it. Not quite sure how it came loose since they have a locking device, but it just goes to show you that anything is possible. I am sure it had something to do with the rubber eye cup. Also if you use really right stuff or any other brackets, I sugges you carry an extra allen wrench. Actually check the screw and bolts of you tripod because those can come loose and cause problems. I have also found it helpful to carry an extra cap for both sides of the lenses and the body. They get lost easily. An extra lens cloth is a good idea.

16. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Parts

The little screw-in on the front of these cameras where the remote control connects periodically gets wander lust and disappears. I forget the part number but I think I remember Thom Hogan giving that information on his site.

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks Don and Scott,

Your information is very helpful. I sure appreciate it and also think others on the forum will too.

Gaye

18. good one Don, I lost mine pretty soon after getting my D1x. I tried all the camera stores and online sites but none had them. Oddly enough I finally found a bunch of those screw in buttons on Ebay in both sizes.

19. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    E Bay

Scott,

E Bay is probably the best idea. I found them on Huron's site, but for $4 per.

20. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You don't mean those silly plastic screw-in covers? I remove them from any camera and just throw them away. They serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.