D2x - been gifted one, some advice on lenses please

Real Name
Andy
@acnomad - I'm still here :) and yes these images are beautiful and what I would aspire to.
Just need to get used to a BIG clump of metal … and a decent lens or two (still looking).
Maybe I'm being too fussy and trying lenses that can be the ''jack of all trades'' (to use on the Oly EM-1 as well although MF)

Real Name
Andy
@acnomad - I'm still here :) and yes these images are beautiful and what I would aspire to.
Just need to get used to a BIG clump of metal … and a decent lens or two (still looking).
Maybe I'm being too fussy and trying lenses that can be the ''jack of all trades'' (to use on the Oly EM-1 as well although MF)
I enjoyed faffing around with Nikon D series glass on the E-M1, especially the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF. But in the end, it was just a diversion. That old lens served me very well on Nikon bodies, and did indeed adapt just fine to the E-M1, but when the AF motor started to act up, I replaced it with a 70-200 and never felt I was missing out in that the it could not play well with the E-M1 due to absence of an aperture ring.

I still have the E-M1 (it's a great camera!) and continue to use it with just two native primes (the PanaLeica 15 and the Oly 75, which are among the best lenses in any format that I have ever had the pleasure of using). FWIW, I think the experience of using non-native glass on the E-M1 (or, for that matter, any mirrorless camera) is best with manual focus lenses. The older AI glass could be an interesting option. They won't break the bank, they're compatible with the D2X and many are optically excellent, even by today's standards.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom