D2x CAM 2000 AF Module... How does it work?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by agape01, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Hello fellow cafe mates....

This is my first thread in this forum and I hope that you guys can bear with my nikon newbie questions.

I have been shooting the D2x for like 7 months now and I am trying to figure out why my shots are not sharp at all. Even if I shoot my images at high shutter speeds, my images are not sharp and I have come to this inclination that I do not understand how does the AF module work.

Nikon has got 4 focusing modes. I was wondering whether can anyone share when do I use each mode for what kind of situation based on your experiences?

The second part to this inquiry is the CSM settings. Namely A1 through A4. In nikonian.org, there was a write up on this and I am wondering whether how many of you find those settings to be accurate.

If they are not accurate, then what settings are you guys using.

Much advise would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

2. Not to stray (to far) from your questions, but have you updated your firmware yet? It's made a significant improvement in my case and now most shots are now dead accurate focus-wise. I couldn't say that before even after two trips to Nikon. If you have updated the firmware and are still experiencing soft focus your camera may need to be serviced if setting changes don't help.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Caleb,

I'm sure that you will get answers to your questions here, but if you don't get them all answered by the time I get home from work, I'll try to help.

I'll check back in about 6 hours. :smile:

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Paul,

I don't have a D2X (just the two D2H's), but thought that I could at least attempt to help describe the basic functions of the a1 - a4 settings as well as the different AF modes and how I use them. Probably can't help you X shooters that much though. :rolleyes:

You guys have already answered some of Caleb's questions. If it looks like I can add anything tonight, I will. :smile:

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

8. I would like to thank everyone that have posted in this thread.

I guess what I am still trying to know is how do I use all 11 points of AF sensors and still not have the camera to use closest subject prority?

So far, I have tried to use Dynamic Area AF with closest-subject priority and still the camera sometimes would pick the wrong focusing point.

If I were shooting sports, would you guys suggest that I ought to use Group Dynamic AF, using Pattern 1 or should I be using Pattern 2?

A couple of weeks back, I went to shoot some rugby shots and I found that half of my shots were Out of Focus. I was using Dynamic Area AF as I thought that the camera would track my subject, but it didn't.

As I have an appointment soon, I would try to link some of my shots to show you guys examples of what I have done.

Thanks so much for helping me to understand what am I doing right or what am I doing wrong.

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Caleb

I have experienced less than stellar effects with dynamic area on the X and while it is better after upgrading the firmware it still isn't perfect.

Closest subject priority om my X causes me all kinds of grief!

I have found that AF-C in single are or single area dynamic works very well.

I always have a4 set to OFF, although if you read Darrel's article on the Nikonians site, he strongly recommends leaving it ON.

One of the problems I've found in using dynamic area is that the sensors ion the X are much larger than they appear in the viewfinder and it does lead to focus errors IMHO.

If you haven't yet done the firmware update...it's a muct do. It really does improve focus capabilities greatly.

10. Thanks Jfenton on your experiences.

And Yes the firmware has been updated for my D2x.

I will try to put some images online today.

11. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
  12. Ok... finally found a place where I can temporary put my images.

They can be found here

I hope that my shutter speed was fast enough to capture the action as it was approaching evening time when I captured these images.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Caleb,

It's hard to really be sure with the small images, but your focus looks pretty OK to me. Which mode did you use?

14. Caleb,

Have you upgraded your firmware from Nikon? That should take care of the problems that you have.

Hope this works.

15. photosketch

photosketch Guest

16. Sorry have not been checking back in a while.

I was using AF-C mode, a1 was set to focus dynamic single point focusing.

As menioned right now, the firmware has been updated but the images that I put up were not updated at that point of time.