D2x, Capture 4.2, and Tokonoma display

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Ron Reznick, Mar 7, 2005.

1. I've completed processing of the images I'll be putting up on the webpage for the D2x/D2h comparison and the D2x initial shoot. I'll do the post-processing tomorrow and put the webpage up.

There are a few things I thought you might want to know right away about Capture 4.2 and the D2x:

1. As you all probably know, Capture 4.2 is a memory hog, but there is a trick you can use to release memory and make your workflow easier while we're waiting for them to get the software fixed. After opening the image(s) you are going to process, and occasionally during the processing, if you minimize/maximize the application it will release a tremendous amount of RAM. Open your Task Manager to view the RAM usage, then minimize/maximize. You will be in shock at the difference in usage.

2. The White Balance dialog commits errors in Kelvin temperature. For instance, during testing of a number of images shot at 5600K (manual) in-camera, when I adjust the White Balance dialog for fine-tuning, it requires setting at 6329K to equal the in-camera setting of 5600K. This will require more testing to determine what is going on, but they really need to address this rapidly.

3. Settings for the D2x so far are Sharpening = None and USM settings of:
    ISO 100: 50, 5, 4
    ISO 200: 50, 5, 4
    ISO 400: 50, 5, 8
    ISO 800: 50, 5, 12
    High-1: 50, 5, 20

These settings assume a properly acquired image.

Now, just for your personal enjoyment, here is an image I took of the Tokonoma Display in the Japanese House at Huntington Gardens in San Marino CA using the 85mm f/1.4D that Mike Elman was kind enough to loan me (I brought different lenses for the tests). ISO 100, 1/20 @ f/4.

[​IMG]

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Re: WB

Geez I'm glad that you posted this!

I thought I was fgoing nuts relative to my in camera WB settings and what I was seeing in NC.

Thanks for convincing me that I'm not totally gone ;)

Jim

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;