D2x, Capture 4.2, and Tokonoma display

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Ron Reznick, Mar 7, 2005.

1. I've completed processing of the images I'll be putting up on the webpage for the D2x/D2h comparison and the D2x initial shoot. I'll do the post-processing tomorrow and put the webpage up.

There are a few things I thought you might want to know right away about Capture 4.2 and the D2x:

1. As you all probably know, Capture 4.2 is a memory hog, but there is a trick you can use to release memory and make your workflow easier while we're waiting for them to get the software fixed. After opening the image(s) you are going to process, and occasionally during the processing, if you minimize/maximize the application it will release a tremendous amount of RAM. Open your Task Manager to view the RAM usage, then minimize/maximize. You will be in shock at the difference in usage.

2. The White Balance dialog commits errors in Kelvin temperature. For instance, during testing of a number of images shot at 5600K (manual) in-camera, when I adjust the White Balance dialog for fine-tuning, it requires setting at 6329K to equal the in-camera setting of 5600K. This will require more testing to determine what is going on, but they really need to address this rapidly.

3. Settings for the D2x so far are Sharpening = None and USM settings of:
    ISO 100: 50, 5, 4
    ISO 200: 50, 5, 4
    ISO 400: 50, 5, 8
    ISO 800: 50, 5, 12
    High-1: 50, 5, 20

These settings assume a properly acquired image.

Now, just for your personal enjoyment, here is an image I took of the Tokonoma Display in the Japanese House at Huntington Gardens in San Marino CA using the 85mm f/1.4D that Mike Elman was kind enough to loan me (I brought different lenses for the tests). ISO 100, 1/20 @ f/4.

[​IMG]

I double-posted (here and in D2xstasy) because I thought some of this info would be of use to folks who are using NC4.2 with other cameras.

Ron

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    A couple questions for you Ron

1st, thanks for the min/max tip in NC4. Since you're recommending different USM settings according to ISO, I wanted to know if you are also turning off the automatic in-cam NR in NC4 at ISOs above 400? Since a # of ppl are starting to complain about the inability to turn this off in-cam, do you suppose Nikon might address this with a future FW update? Lovely sublime shot too, btw! I've been practicing your handhold tech, and it really does work!

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Steve...

I was under the impression from the manula the setting the in camera noise supression to OFF....really means OFF until you reach HI?

Jim

4. Ron,

Have you noticed if the Kelvin temp issue is D2X-specific or not? In other words, would I run into similar WB issues trying to process D100 NEFs with NC 4.2.1?

Seems to me I remember reading that the D2X applies WB coefficients to the RAW data before saving it -- I wonder if Capture isn't taking that into account with the WB adjustments.

I'll be anxious to read what you find out about this.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. My bad -- must have been thinking about something else??? Mine is 4.2.0 as well (4.2.0.3010 to be exact :) ).

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Re: Steve...

I've heard several times that it kicks in @ISOs above 400, so that would include 800, as well as any in-between ISOs, if you have the cam set to 1/3 ISO adjustments. And, judging from the few shots I've taken @ISO 800, that seems to be the case.

8. Peaceful and serene image Ron.