D2X Clock Reseting Problem - A new twist- Help !

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Riki, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    I have been complaining about my clock battery failing to be replaced thrice in the last three months and of late the clock resetting to 01.01.2005 and not holding the time.

I attributed this to some circuit fault and had scheduled a service for next week.

Today when I put on my new Powerbook , I was surprised to find a similar prompt on start up saying my system clock was reset to 01.01.2005.

Well, I don?t believe in spirits, but somehow got a very eerie feeling on reading this.

My question is, since I have been only using the Powerbook to transfer images to using a Delkin Pro 32 bit Cardbus Adapter, using Nikon View, is it possible there is some connection between the same error coming up on the camera and the Computer or is it just a coincidence.
    Could a faulty System Clock in the Powerbook or a faulty clock in the D2X transfer this reset date info to the other device ?
    When Images are being transferred to a computer , does Nikon View need to access the computer clock to retrieve the date info.
    Could there be some connection.
    The Powerbook is brand new only three months old and so is the D2X.
    Can someone with some tech knowledge have a clue about this ?
    Would really appreciate some advice as have been cracking up trying to figure out a connection.
    A virus maybe ? On a Mac ?

2. If you are using a card reader and not giving any Nikon software control over the camera over USB, then it almost has to be a coincidence.

Anything is possible, but highly unlikely.

3. marc

marc Guest

riki
    if you look in the preferences tab, i think in nc and nv there is a question about synchronizing, your camera and computers clock.

you should see if that is what is happening

also, in the d2h and d2x, there is a small battery, hidden on the underside of the battery cover.
    this small battery is what controls the cameras clock, maybe you need to change that battery.
    it is a watch battery, small, round
    hope this helps

marc

4. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks Marc for your reply.
    I have changed that battery thrice thinking it was down, whenever the clock symbol flashed on the display. I have now realsied that the batteries were not discharged but the symbols flash everytime the clock was reset to 01.01.2005. I checked the NC and NV settings, they are all OK.

5. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

This is way out but could you have the battery installed upside down?

Birger

6. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    No sir, the clokc is working. But it keeps resetting to 01.01.2005 and then starts clicking . After a few minutes, it again resets to 01.01.2005 and so on.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Well an update of the clock resetting problem.
    This morning I took out the camera, and it was completely dead. I thought the battery was dead so put in another and still nothing. Completely dead, kaput.
    Apparently the circuit problem which was causing the clock battery to reset has finally given way.
    I would appreciate some advice, this apparently looks like a major circuit problem. Should I insist on a replacement or be satisfied with repairs. What would you do in my position ? Replacement I think is at the discretion of Nikon and not an option available to customers.

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

10. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks Paul for your nice words.
    I have no option now but to send it in. Will revert with the outcome.

11. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    A quick update on this problem. Got the camera back from Nikon Hongkong, as a special case they rushed up the repair and did it in four days. They replaced a DC board and adjusted the auto focus. Camera seems to be fine. Lets see if the problem has been solved completely.

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks Paul
    Quite pleased apart from the fact that they have reset everything incl file numbering. So I feel that I am using a new camera. BTW got the DK17M also, nice add on specially for us semi blind people.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005