D2X does landscapes - IR

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Keith, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Not great shots, but wanted to give this a shot to see how the d2x handled infrared and longgg exposure shots. No noise reduction, straight out of camera with reduction of saturation to taste, then websized and sharpened for web. Exposure avg'd 25-30 seconds

original.

View attachment 11700

B&W version, little different crop, kind of like it

original.

2. They are both very nice, I had trouble to see both of them I had the red X showing, When it happened i wait to see at the bottom of the page that it has terminated and after that i go preceding page et come back and the other picture appeared that is a long process when you have 8 or 10 picture on the post.

3. These are so cool, Keith! I've seen IR pics before but these have a completely different feel. They have almost a pinkish glow. I know nothing about IR but does the sky normally take on that shade or is there special processing involved?

The subject is really neat, too! I love old dilapidated barns, farmhouses, etc. Post some more (and share your tips ;)).

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Keith,
    I love your images. I also love IR.
    So great to see you reaching out into so many different areas.

Great job. I also love the perspective of the image as well.

wonder if the D100 will do IR.. Do you know by chance.

5. Hi Kevin

No the sky doesnt normally take that color, but I wanted to have deeper color for skies so I added a red filter, great for black and whites and it seems to have done the job!! this was my first time using one, and I like the effect. wasnt sure how it would work stacking filters but I like it! Looks even better with some clouds ;-)

thanks for looking
    Keith

6. Hi Gale

You will be happy to know that the D100 does GREAT with IR, better than the other Nikons that I have had experience with, and very low noise with the D100 which makes it so sweet. Allot of people have made the D100's into infrared permanently............

here is a link to some Infrared pics with the D100
    http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/infrared_pics

7. Wow! Keith those are great, and I thought the D2X wouldn't be good at that.

Martin

8. Wow! Excellent pics Keith! I really love the second one, perhaps because of the closer angle and a hint of clouds in the backround. No matter, these are powerful images! ;-)

9. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I like all 3 - particularly the 2nd one too.

Looking at the pictures reminds me of a dreamworld type place. I can stare at these images for quite some time - the effect creates wonderful imagery.

Nice job mate.

10. Thanks everyone, just post processing the ones from today ;-)

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Superb images. What filter did you use?

12. Great stuff Keith! how the heck do you do that???

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice captures, Keith. I've never shot IR before...your images are extremely cool. I may have to give that a try someday. Thanks for sharing.

14. Hi John...........

these were shot with the Hoya R72 filter with my 12-24 Nikkor.........
    thanks for looking

Keith

15. good evening.........

How is Dave doing this evening...........your going to be glad that you bought another 12-24mm ;-)

Shot with a Hoya R72 filter, with a red filter stacked to get the skies darker and longggggggggggggggggggggggg exposure in manual mode. Got to give it a try at f8 f11 to sharpen it up a bit but when you have a breeze you get what you get........ I kinda like IR, more so when water involved. got to give it a try Dave

Keith

16. thanks

It is different Frank, its not for everyone, my wife prefers B&W, but I like the IR.........

Keith

17. Keith, why the need for such a long exposure? Does the IR filter cut out that much light that it's required? Sorry to be so ignorant but this is something that could be fun to try. I certainly like the results! :)

18. Hi Kevin......

dont be silly, the only bad question is the one you dont ask.
    Nikon deemed it necessary to upgrade the d2x to help make free of IR-mediated responses, so the thought was you cannot due IR with the D2x.
    All the other Nikon Dslr's ie. D100, D2h, d70 have 3-5 stop better response than the x . So it it definitely takes allot longer to nail a descent exposure. What I was impressed with was how well the x handles the noise considering I used no noise removal, straight out of camera. They said the d100 was the best of the bunch for low noise, well I think we have a new winner...........The D100 would have nailed this exposure in 4-5 seconds Im thinking vs. the 20+ seconds on these.........

Hope that helps or makes sense

19. Great shots, my favorite is the last one.

20. thanks Gordon........

Mine too!