D2X - dynamic or group dynamic question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Allan, Mar 30, 2007.

1. I have had my D2X for about 11 months and I shoot birds more than anything. I still have no real idea what I want to use for birds in flight. I have been using group dynamic - with group 2 but wonder what others are using now. I looked at old posts and know a few people who are shooting differently than they posted in 2005 or 06.

So, birds in flight - which do you use dynamic (2nd from bottom) or group dynamic (2nd from top) when shooting birds in flight? Is it hit or miss - what should I try today (like me) or have you actually made tests.

I suppose some may use single area, but when I am shooting the birds are fairly small compared to the frame and I find it hard to keep them in the focus area.

Any thoughts are appreciated. After 11 months with my D2X I still feel like a rookie using it.

2. I use group dynamic or single area. In theory those are faster (less sensors to read data from/calculate). I think the setting (a4) that controls the amount of time before the AF moves the lens (Off.. Long) is more critical, though.

Jason O'Dell has written a great article: http://www.luminescentphoto.com/articles/CAM2000/cam2000.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
  3. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I go back and forth between those two myself. I use more group dynamic because there is a bigger area to help aquire focus initially, but I find it doesn't always focus on what I want. I don't think there is a consistant answer, it depends on the size and speed of the birds and the background. For example, shooting against blue sky I'll use group dynamic, but if the surf is the backgroud I usually use dynamic. Regardless, I'm amazed it works as well as it does.