D2x Dynamic Range vs. 1Ds2

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by realeyz, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Been following a few threads on DPreview and noticed something odd - someone posted a test result from Imatest that yielded the Canon 1Ds2 as having over 11 stops of dynamic range. I heard it mentioned somewhere on here that the D2x only has about 6.6 stops of dynamic range. Something must be wrong - how can the Evil 1Ds2 have so much more dynamic range than our beautiful X? :?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=12591182

http://www.imatest.com

2. I think it has more DR, but not that much - maybe in the order of another stop.

3. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I would like to see that CR2 of the stepchart . OMG. That's so funny. As we say in Russia, "matches are not a proper toy for children". Still laughing.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Todd,

First, the C word is not evil, it is just another brand of camera.;-) Second, I don't have any factual data to back this up, but I doubt very seriously that Nikon would release a cam with a sensor that has several orders of magnitude less DR than an already released cam from their biggest competitor. If they did (release such an inferior product), then we should all sell our glass, and buy Canon.... 8)

Third, while I'm a techie for sure, I read about 25 of the threads that you gave us the link to, and you talk about measurebation....:roll: Wow, is all I can say.

In the end, it may turn out that the C cams do have more DR. If so, than we should give them credit, and maybe consider moving over. I just would really like to see some real word photos for comparison.

Frank

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Frank, try to print 11 stops on at best 7 stops media

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Iliah,

You are trying to give intelligent advice to an ignorant noob.... :lol:, but thanks for at least trying.

Seriously, wouldn't the added DR help reduce blown highlights? In other words, couldn't you push the histogram to the right to minimize the dark area noise?

Thanks,

Frank

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Blown highlights have little to do with dynamic range. Blown highlights happened to me on black and white film more then once :)

High dynamic range materials are flat and very low-contrast, and hard to print. You need to rise contrast, sacrificing dynamic range. You need to compress to 7 or less stops, depending on the printing process.

Now, measuring dynamic range taking photos of gray scale is not a totally correct method, as you do not see where details start to disappear.

Yes, you can shift the midtone point, but will it bring detail in highlights, or just posterization and faint shades of gray?

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Iliah,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid that all you have done is add one more nail in my coffin.... :? I want the D2X to be the near-perfect cam for my birdie shooting, and you are only egging me on.... 8)

I'm going to blame you, Yves, and Ron if Janie tries to gut me. :lol: :lol:

Frank

9. She wont gut you Frank, she'll just rip out those stints without anaesthesia, thats all. Only hurt for a second. :shock:

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah, Harris, one second, then I die.... :?

Thanks a lot old buddy.... 8)

When are you ordering yours??

Frank

11. What is CR2?

12. Oh yes it is - to me its VERY VERY evil!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

You have to understand Frank - I'm barely hangin on here! While most others here seem to be basking in the glory of D2x ownership, I can barely get any sleep, can't get any work done, food is not tasting as good as it once did etc etc.

MEASUREBATION IS ABOUT ALL I HAVE LEFT MAN!!!

Hopefully I won't cross over into total dysfunction before I get the call, but I may need to find a 12-step program for soon-to-be D2x owners anonymous. :cry: Seems like everytime I wake up I will find that the D2x thing was all a hoax and it never really existed in the first place. Sigh. :(

13. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Todd, I assume that's a 12-steps of DR program?

I'll be moving along now.

Neil

14. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I mean RAW file from which the measurement was taken.

15. After one daugher has graduation, another a wedding, I get my 200-400,.....