D2X Focus Issues Update

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jfenton, Apr 9, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I'm not complaining this time...just keeping other D2X owners and other interested bystanders informed.

I've tested until I'm blue in the face and I've documented everything.

Ron has tested and is testing further this weekend.

It appears that the issue revolves around the ability to achieve lock and focus track in AF-C / AF-S in single and single area dynamic area modes.
    Ron has some further ideas but I'll wait till he finishes his testing this weekend and makes them public.

Even prior to my starting to talk daily with him about these issues, he had been contacted by a fair number of his clients and acquaintances who were having issues as well.

My camera is flying Monday and it will be there Tuesday and Ron is taking his Hs and his X and has point blank demanded that all of this gets fixed ASAP...in fact, I think if they'd let him stay with the tech, he probably would. Ron has a session the following weekend with some out of town folks, and I'm suppose to be going with a group of Audubon folks and being their shooter for the 3 day weekend.

I have told Nikon is writing that since most of the were cameras (as well as some of the earlier releases) seem fine...I'd just as soon not play the ...we tweaked it...how does it work now game? JUST GIVE ME ONE THAT WORKS!

One disconcerting note...I know of two others with identical issues who sent them to Torrance and they were returned with a note that there is nothing wrong with them. That sucks.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Jim,

Sorry to here about your issues. I saw the photos on DPR. Definately a problem. Hope it is resolved soon.

4. There is definately a problem. Your detailed tests are far more in depth than I can offer up, but i am simply unable to achieve a focus lock with the d2x and a rapidly moving subject. The d2x on the other hand does it quickly and quite well. I will wait and see.

5. i meant the d2h does it quicly and quite well, sorry

6. I'm having trouble too with the Sigma 800, but on the other hand I had trouble with it with the D2H as well, it is a bit erratic in locking on, Sigma told me to send it in so they could check it out... But what really I wonder is what the consensus for settings for flying birds should be for Continuos focusing mode... I try to use center area focus if they are standing still and Group Dynamic (2) if they are flying.
    AF-c Priority is FPS Rate + AF
    Lock on is ON

Feedback? What do you use?