D2X Focus Mode Switch M, ?, S, C Potential problem?

Someone in the Nature Photography forum posted this:

"I noticed the focus mode switch on the left side which is supposed to have three modes, M, S, C, seems to have four on mine, M, ?, S,C After going from M it clicks into ? then does a smooth rolling sort of switch into S like a worn light switch might do when flipped"

We are wondering if this "problem" may not be part of the focus issues that some are experiencing. Has anyone else noticed this in their D2X?

Mine has that extra stop, but my D2H does not. I have not done any testing yet using both settings.

I will greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide.

I have noticed this too, and I am also curious as to if the extra detent means anything. My first inclination was that it's there just to provide a more tactile indication that you were switching to manual focus. Just my uneducated speculation, though.

Mine also has the extra stop between S and M. There is no auto focusing on that stop. I suppose that it is possible that some may think that they have a focus problem if they stopped on that extra stop but it seems that there have been some units with real focusing issues. Mine has worked fine with all my lenses at over 5,500 photos. As previously indicated I do have to ensure a firm support but that has just been a matter of my giving attention to it. The beast is tamed! Well, mostly. It still wants raw red meat instead of the soft veggies the other brand prefers :lol:

M

mca

Hey,
What's the deal mine does the same thing :!: does anyone know what the remedy is :?: mine has an extra stop between s&m
thanks mike

M

marc

mf44 said:
I have noticed this too, and I am also curious as to if the extra detent means anything. My first inclination was that it's there just to provide a more tactile indication that you were switching to manual focus. Just my uneducated speculation, though.

memories! beautiful memories

Last edited by a moderator:
I

IxLr8

Funny, mines don't have that... it's in the 5025*** series of serial numbers.

Mine is in the 5023 series.

This afternoon I took it out with the 105 micro. The switch was in the ? position and the autofocus would not work, all I heard was something spinning. I guess the shaft from the camera was not fully engaged. I turned it off, set the switch to S and it worked fine afterward.

I took a bunch of shots on a tripod AF-S and all of them are soft as could be, worse than it has ever been.

I'll probably drop it off in Torrance next week.

Wow that's odd. I guess the extra click is on some and not others, in what appears to be a random order. :?: Mine is 5027 and I've got it...

Rad & Marcus,

Are you having problems with your images being out of focus or soft?

Dave,

This morning I took out the camera along with my D2H, took some test shots at the same identical settings on a tripod. The images from the D2H are tack sharp, the ones from the D2X are soft. I am using AF-S, single area with the focus area dead smack in front of the subject, the subject is large enough to cover beyond the sensing brackets, and there was plenty of light and more than enough contrast for autofocus to work properly. It does not get any more basic than that.

I am calling the dealer today to see what he has to say and most likely bring the camera to Nikon Torrance.

M

marcus

So far I am happy with my D2x(apart from my 50 f1.8 won't work on my D2x). I do get some soft images but I think it's due to the camera shake. (D2x is a bit heavy to me and I need to get use to it)

N

nfoto

All D2X cameras used by me have had the "extra" click. Honestly I hadn't even noticed this before reading this thread. So I guess the practical importance is nil if I have shot 10.000 images and didn't notice.

M

marcus

My 50 f/1.8 was working fine when I first got my D2X. However, it suddenly refuses to auto-focus on my D2X body(but it works on my old D100). I tried many times to mount it on my D2X but it still doesn't work. I give up already. :(

D

dan_m

To Mike Campos

Mike,
Could you tell us what lens(es) was giving you trouble on your D2X? Thanks
Dan M.

M

marcus

50 f/1.8 is the only lens having trouble with my D2X. My AF 35-70 f/2.8 works fine on both D2X & D100. I don't have any problem with the AFS lenses.

Dan,

I don't think any of my lenses are giving me any better results over the others, in general my shots are very soft, not so much out of focus, but soft.

Two days ago I put the 105mm micro on the camera and took some shots of a well lit flower with plenty of contrast for autofocus to lock on, AF-S, single area on a tripod. The shots were all extremely soft to the point of no part of the flower being in focus, actually no part of the image was in focus. I have the camera setup on AF-S to focus, so it should not fire if it does not lock focus. I then tried the 60mm and got the same results. In contrast the D2H gave me tack sharp images with the same settings as the D2X.

My other lenses are not too shabby either, 12-24DX, 15-55DX, 28-70 AF-S, 70-200VR.

Prior to the D2X I never worried about autofocus, now a lot of feedback on the Internet tells me that I don't know what I am doing, it is possible, but I am not buying it yet.

I am going to take into Nikon next week to see what they say. In the meantime I figure I go to the source and post a message for Nikon in their tech support area to see what they have to say.

Latest threads

Top Bottom