D2X focusing problem!

Please help! What could cause my D2X to suddenly miss focus... I think it would be called backfocus, when I focus on a far object and something nearer is in focus? It is very severe, and as I said, very sudden. Noticed it first on Wednesday... used it in the morning and all was well. Pulled it out in the afternoon, and it would not focus with either my 70-200 or 17-55. I checked the focus modes, focus points, focus areas, tried cleaning the contacts. Is there anything else I might be missing to check? I'm tripping because I need this camera in a few weeks for a wedding! Thanks!

Make sure you do not have Closest Focus Priority on. Check to make sure you do not have an AF Fine tune setting. Make sure you do not have the switch on the front of the body set to M, or the lenses (if it will simply not AF at all). Check to see if you have the Shutter Release/AF-On button settings set up properly.

If all you have tried fails, and after double checking it all, I would suggest a complete reset. I hate doing that because it takes awhile to go through and reset everything. If none of that cures the issue, it is possible it needs servicing.

Make sure you do not have Closest Focus Priority on. Check to make sure you do not have an AF Fine tune setting. Make sure you do not have the switch on the front of the body set to M, or the lenses (if it will simply not AF at all). Check to see if you have the Shutter Release/AF-On button settings set up properly.

If all you have tried fails, and after double checking it all, I would suggest a complete reset. I hate doing that because it takes awhile to go through and reset everything. If none of that cures the issue, it is possible it needs servicing.
I just checked and Closest Focus is not on. It's a D2X so it doesn't have AF Fine Tune, I quadruple checked all the S,C,M and M,M/A settings on both the body and the lenses already. Shutter Release/AF-On I think is fine. I never use the AF-On button. I will try a reset if after a few more suggestions nothing works.

Here's what's weird that I just noticed. As I was testing it again just now, I noticed that as it was focusing, it would go past where true focus is. What I mean is that I could see for just a split moment the words on the page in focus and then the focus would keep going until they were blurry again. I tried releasing the Shutter button in smaller increments, and I could achieve focus by letting it go right as it got into focus, but then to take the picture, I had to hit the shutter button one more time, and the picture would go out of focus... Weird!

I do not have any, and the suggestion was not camera specific (per say), it was more of a general things to consider. I hope you figure it out, and best of luck!

Well, I do thank you for the ones you already gave. :smile: I don't use my Custom Banks, so there's not too much that I will have to change back with a reset. I think I'm going to give it a try in a little while...

Well, I think I isolated the piece that's the problem... I just don't know what the problem is...
When I take off the lens, directly at the top of the lens mount, just behind the contacts is a little tab. Releasing the tab appears to give access to my focusing screen or something? Sorry, this is new territory to me. Anyways, there is a semi-transparent plastic piece in there that appears to rest on on the focusing screen... it's got a rectangle on it. I took this piece out, which was loose to start with (maybe the problem?) and put the lens back on... everything seemed in focus when I focused, but the picture was still blurry... anyways, I guess I have to find someone who can work on this, because I leave for vacation Friday, and don't have time to drop the camera off at Nikon...:frown:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom